Skip to main content

Heat Lightning

I went to bed last night and watched flickers and flashes of light in the northern sky for the longest time.  I heard not one rumble of thunder--although I do have to admit that the windows were closed because the air conditioner was on.  It was hot and it was humid so I was thinking "heat lightning."
I understand that heat lightning is just a regular old electrical storm that is so far away that you just cannot hear the thunder.  Still, those flashes were persistent and lasted for quite a long time.  Someone was getting a hell of a storm.

It was hot again today, but the humidity was not so bad.  I did my library volunteer gig and then went for a short walk.  I even turned the oven on and baked a cheese cake that I topped with blueberries.  I used my adaptation of a recipe from Moosewood Cookbook by Molly Katzen.  My copy is a 15 year anniversary edition--printed in 1992.  It all of a sudden occurred to me that that makes it a pretty old book--almost an antique.  I still love it, though, and use it a lot.  For one thing, you can really fiddle around with the recipes and they still come out fine.  I used half the ricotta called for and filled in the rest with yogurt cheese, because that is what I had.  No problem. I like recipes that are mere suggestions rather than hard and fast rules.  I don't always succeed, but, hey, I have fun.

Speaking of food--I actually have some bean plants that survived the onslaught of the woodchuck!   I may have some green beans in a few weeks.  There are even a few intrepid leaves of lettuce in my garden, although the recent hot weather has not been friendly to them.  My tomatoes are starting to ripen.  We had grape tomatoes today and they were so incredibly sweet.  The Italian peppers are coming on strong.  All is not as bleak as I had thought a month ago.  I have even harvested a bunch of herbs before they bolted.  Now I think I won't give up on the garden after all.

Hey!  My old dashboard and post page are back!!!  I don't know why Blogger was choosing to toy with me like that, but all is forgiven now.  I could not go directly to my Blogger account from that interim dashboard and it made it so much harder to navigate around reader and Gmail.  I'm happier now.

Comments

  1. My son-in-law switched me over the Google chrome browser and now everything is working right again on my blogger. Hurrah. I don't understand any of it though.
    Glad to hear you salvaged something from your garden. Our tomatoes are months for ripening. I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger is having all kinds of glitches. Perhaps too much traffic, too heavy data? We got the thunder, lightning and lots of rain in short bursts...even a little bit of hail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you garden is finally yielding treasures. If I didn't water vigorously, I would have nothing.
    Glad your Blogger has straightened out. I still have to take extra steps commenting on some posts. Oh well, it is free.
    Arkansas Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember the term 'heat lightening.' :-) It can be pretty, since lightening is pretty, but not so, if it's right over one's head.

    Blogger continues to give troubles, at times... -sigh-

    I'm glad I moved "The Attic." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting your dashboard back. It's the little things that keep us going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having blogger problems of my own. I totally relate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.