My absolute favorite cookbook is Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home. It has been around for nearly twenty years. I own two copies—one at home and one here in Florida.
This dessert takes advantage of the Plant City strawberries that are plentiful this year. I have adapted the recipe a bit—cutting it in half for one thing because we would eat it all if I made the eight servings as described in the cookbook.
8 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 pint fresh strawberries
1/4 cup strawberry fruit spread
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 T confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Beat the ricotta with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Rinse the berries and cut into small pieces, saving a few whole ones for garnish.
- Fold the strawberries and the fruit spread into the cheese.
- Whip the cream and sweeten if desired. Fold into the fruit and ricotta.
- Refrigerate for at least twenty minutes. Serve in individual cups.
It is a pleasant combination of richness and lightness.