Skip to main content

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs. 

We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We just fell into bed exhausted early each night. VT had record breaking heat that week just to make the chores so much more appealing.

Then on Friday, October 6, Don had the procedure to smash up his kidney boulder. He kept saying we would be on the road on Saturday morning, me tough man, no problem. Right. Even if there had been no complications I doubt that would have happened but as it is he has to stay another week before they will be able to remove a stent and he is in no shape to drive anywhere.

So now I am at my sister's for a week. Don is at Kevin's for the week because he is deathly allergic to cats and my sister has two and a German shepherd that sheds. At least Levi is having a great time with another dog to play with, but I can tell you that homelessness does not feel good even under these quite accommodating circumstances. My heart goes out to those who are truly homeless and without resources.

And I have been enjoying time with my sister. We took an historical tour that was being held in town, visited an art gallery and took a walk on the rail trail.


The Lamoille River flooded the town of Cambridge. It has also bee featured for it's flood potential is at least one of Chris Bohjalian's books.



So there is that thing about if you want to make God laugh, make plans. Same goes for Mother Nature, I guess.



Comments

  1. Goodness, packing and moving would have been enough to deal with, let alone accidents and surgery. I do hope Don is well enough to drive soon, and Kevin's injuries heal quickly.
    Enjoy your visit with your sister, it sounds like it has been a lot of fun already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a mess of injuries and illness to help complicate the move! And then Mother Nature stepping in with that hot, humid weather. I am sure you will be glad to put this all behind you. Here's hoping for better times this week (and fast healing for everyone) and even better than that times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my daughter she has an obligation to put me in a memory loss ward if I so much as mention the word "moving" again!

      Delete
  3. You had a lot of injuries, medical recovery times, and heat to complicate your move. That is good you got to take in some beautiful scenery while staying at your sister's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was more than enough to have to deal with. I hope everyone is on the mend by now, and you are getting ready to move into new digs. Flooding and heat seem to be mother Nature's treats this year. We are feeling lucky here in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope things get smoother! Your adventures remind of my brother and his wife. They sold their Atlanta condo and drove in January weather to their new land in Colorado, which did not have their new house on it. On their way my 70-year-old brother walked into my Kansas City apartment and said "I'm homeless for the first time in my life!" I shooed them the next day onto the road to Colorado ahead of a big snow storm! Yep, he got his house built west of the Rockies and learned to shovel LOTS of snow, and now hires it out! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving is awful to me and I've done it 7x, maybe more. Never gets easier that's for sure. Temporary living. Yuk. Did that with a big dog to boot. I hope you 3 get settled soon. Then you have the fun to unpack. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man alive. When it rain, it pours. Hope it all works out and things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olga I have not seen your blog in a very long time. I was happy to rediscover it. Hope soon homeless will be over. I did not post the past while as a surgeon messed me up and it took a year to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidrun, so good to hear from you. I hope you are feeling better now.

      Delete
  9. Flexibility and being accommodating is what you are doing and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moving. Doctors. Allergies. I'm hyperventilating just imagining it. As I told TBG after our last move, the next time I go anywhere it's feet first out the door.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my gosh... You have so much going on for you right now, Olga. I'm in awe of you keeping your spirits up and doing what has to be done at this trying time. I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.