Skip to main content

Busyness

 The pandemic has kept me caught between my two worlds.

 I am back in Vermont where life slowly but surely opening up and allowing for social interaction -- time with family and friends feels so sweet.

On the otherhand, my Florida participation is a poetry group, a writing group, meditation group and Buddhist studies class have all continued. The magic of Zoom made this a possibility. 

In fact the Vermont writing groups are continuing on Zoom. We gave up a rental space when in-person meetings were not an option and the workshops started attracting a country-wide level of participation. That's a lot of motivation to keep up a writing practice. Twice as much motivation when I think about it.

There is a book launch for Cold Lake Anthology this evening at a local coffee shop. One of my poems is published in it and several of us will be reading our work at the event. Although I have participated in public readings a number of times, this will be my first time presenting something that was deemed publishable so I am a little excited.

I have a new computer. I didn't want another Mac but didn't really know what I wanted. Don recommended a Dell -- which was also a favorite of my professional geek BIL who had absolutely no use for Apple products. I have the Dell now. It's been a steep learning curve even though I have had them before and it was what I used when I was working.  I am getting there but it did occupy big chinks of my time for the past week two weeks.

I'm still dealing with the dissolving gas bubble in my left eye but it is clearly dissolving -- just more slowly than I anticipated. My vision is much, much better. Also if I get bored I can sit and watch the bubble bounce around and sometimes it breaks into small bubbles. I am easily amused.


The other thing that has kept me busy is garden maintenance -- AKA weeding. One of my friends has been really suffering with various physical ailments as well as some emotional hardships and has just not been able to keep up care of her house and yard. I know that looking at things that need doing that are not getting done can take a toll so I have been cleaning up her flower beds (which are extensive).

It has always bothered me to see once well maintained houses and yards going downhill. You know that often it is reflective of the failing health of the owners. I feel bad for the people of course, but I also feel sad about the buildings and plants. 

So far I am lucky in that a good soak and a restful night's sleep and I am good to go the next day. However, I did open this poem from The Writer's Almanac in my email today. Have to admit, it gave me pause!

Seventy-Two is Not Thirty-Five
by David Budbill

I spent seven hours yesterday at my daughter's house
helping her expand their garden by at least ten times.
We dug up sod by the shovelful, shook off the dirt as
best we could; sod into the wheelbarrow and off to the
pile at the edge of the yard. Then all that over and over
again. Five hours total work-time, with time out for lunch
and supper. By the time I got home I knew all too well
that seventy-two is not thirty-five; I could barely move.

I got to quit earlier than Nadine. She told me I'd done
enough and that I should go get a beer and lie down on
the chaise lounge and cheer her on, which is what I did.

All this made me remember my father forty years ago
helping me with my garden. My father's dead now, and
has been dead for many years, which is how I'll be one
of these days too. And then Nadine will help her child,
who is not yet here, with her garden. Old Nadine, aching
and sore, will be in my empty shoes, cheering on her own.

So it goes. The wheel turns, generation after generation,
around and around. We ride for a little while, get off and
somebody else gets on. Over and over, again and again.




David Budbill “Seventy-Two Is Not Thirty-Five” from Tumbling toward the End. Copyright © 2017 by David Budbill. 

Comments

  1. That piece is kind of depressing. Haha. Yes, I am laughing at this depressing piece! As for yard maintenance, I have been hiring a yardman to do the work. He was just here yesterday, mowing, trimming, blowing, spraying -- all for $105. I think he is worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am soon to be 77 and my slow down has hit big time. I want to be able to do what I could even five years ago.
    When this heat wave subsides there will be lots to do in the garden again, just cleaning up exhausted plants. I will have to pace myself for sure.
    As for computers, we have always been Microsoft PC people, but even moving up to Windows 10 last year was a learning curve.
    Keep on gardening and learning as long as you can. I'm trying to also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't envy you breaking in a new computer. Hate those learning curves.
    Congrats big time on being a published poet and know your presentation will be flawless.
    I know how you feel seeing homes start to slide. Mine is doing that now and I am having to hire work done I use to enjoy. Sigh.
    Hope your bubble soon disappears completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the publication of your poem! It is a wonderful thing to have your talent acknowledged.

    I spent several hours at my daughter's this weekend, helping her clear weeds from her yard. We didn't dig any new garden beds, but filled many bags with refuse. The poem you've shared was definitely appropriate - though I have a few years (10) until I reach 72. Hopefully I'm still able to help her with her yardwork at that age since I do enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on having your poem published. Impressive! Our local senior learning organization now has several people from out of state -- NJ, KY, NC, FL ... and one from London! -- all because of the magic of Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear the good news of your eye.
    I have never had an apple product so I don't know the difference. I will never own an Apple product. I've had Dell laptops and have had great success with them. I am sure you will too. My mom just called me to tell me how bad her flower beds looked good and as I listened I felt bad that I didn't live closer to help her. So I called a company to go do it for her. My lousy sisters, who live there don't see this? Argh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.