Skip to main content

Robinson Preserve

 I had heard of Robinson Preserve as a safe place for hiking and biking. I decided it was time to check it out. I thought I had a pretty good idea of where it was and how to get there but I managed to miss a turn and get kind of lost. When I was sure I was back on track I was getting discouraged because I was not seeing any signs indicating the location.

Finally, I said to myself this is just not meant to be. I might as well turn around and go home. But I absolutely could not bring myself to turn around here:


I drove another half mile and the next drive off the main road was the entrance to the preserve. So it was meant to be!

This old house was scheduled for demolition to make way for citifying Bradenton. It was moved by barge to the Preserve and serves as the greeting and information center. It's called the Valentine House (after the family that owned it).

I did wish I had a kayak.

I climbed the tower.

The sky bridge to Tampa is in the distance.


The preserve is not a working saltern, but it does have the perfect ecological conditions for that.

A saltern is an area or installation for making salt. Salterns include modern salt-making works, as well as hypersaline waters that usually contain high concentrations of halophilic microorganisms, primarily haloarchaea but also other halophiles including algae and bacteria. Wikipedia


I made a loop around. There are so many trails to explore that I definitely want to go back there.

I did spend the afternoon being fascinated by the trees and other plants along the trail.



Hello!


Palm and banyan hugging.

Charred





Maybe next time I will try the birders' trail.

Osprey nesting


Comments

  1. Think you ought to get a kayak. I saw some on the White River yesterday and it made me sad that I had sold mine. They are such fun and because you are so low in the water, you can sneak up on wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place to walk! I'm glad your persevered and found the right turn-off. That building is so beautiful - it would have been a shame to see it torn down.
    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm glad you got the heck out of Trump country, or at least a bit of it. I guess the whole state does have that issue.
    We are cold and rainy here so your sunny hike looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had some picturesque, happy exploring and exercise. That's a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos ... almost fee like I'm there with you. Glad they could save the Valentine House.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing!
    Great spot. Good for you for eschewing the trumpers home.
    But amazing climbing the tower. I did some outdoor work today and I am achy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first thought was, "A trump sign in VT?" Then I realized you were not in VT anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Florida. I have been to Orlando and Miami. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patti--I could already own one if I got back the money I've spent on rentals.
    Linda--unsettling how many still have those signs up.
    Margaret--I am in Florida. The idea I had that I could tough out a VT winter again didn't not last a week into the season. It's actually been cooler than normal here but I don't complain -- mostly because no one would listen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You lost me at the word "hiking". I watch too many detective shows to think hiking for a woman alone as a good thing. However, you did see some wonderful things. Plus, did you say you were alone?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.