Skip to main content

Comfort Food


 My sister has had a very rough time of it for the past few years. She has been at the end of her rope a number of times but has found the strength to pull through. Now her husband is dying. He is getting hospice care, but it is still a heavy burden of care taking for her. 

I will pick up my niece at the airport and drive her to my sister's. I'll do the same for my nephew if he is able to get a flight. In the meantime I baked a cake and made a batch of chicken salad, which is the ultimate comfort food to my way of thinking. What I do when I feel otherwise helpless.

******



I have seen this recipe as French Apple Cake and Russian Apple Cake, pretty much the exact same. It is the easiest cake in the world to make.  I do have some apples, but I also had some plums that needed using so it's either French or Russian Plum Cake.

Oven preheated to 350 (F)

Line a springform cake pan bottom with parchment and grease the both the parchment and the sides of the pan.

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp. of vanilla, 1 tsp. almond extract, and 1 tsp. of lemon juice

1 cup all purpose flour

6 medium apples (or plums) peeled, cored and chopped

Almonds and confectioner's sugar are optional

Beat the sugar and eggs until thickened and light in color. Add in the vanilla, almond extract and lemon juice. Stir in the flour until all combined. Then gently stir in the fruit.  Pour into prepared cake pan. I sprinkled sliced almonds on top. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. It should pass the toothpick test and be golden brown on top. Let cool. Sift some confectioner's sugar on top if desired.

*****


Comments

  1. Oh, this cake does sound delicious, and I sincerely hope it does bring some comfort to you sister and her family. My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL. I hope the family is able to be together in their grief.

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end-of-life can be terribly difficult, I know.
    All the best. Good for you for helping out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry she is having such a rough time of it.
    The pie looks good and the comfort for her will be the love and care you are showing her by taking the fixing of a meal plus dessert out of her hands and off her back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your sad news. The cake sounds like a winner. I shall write it down and give it a try! Thanks for sharing! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake sounds delicious and good you can give your niece, and perhaps nephew too, a ride to your sister's house from the airport, at this sad time for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olga, I am so sorry about your sister and brother in law. I bake in times of stress too so I get the comfort food. I hope that you all get some comfort in this uncomfortable situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your sister and her husband, but I'd think anyone would love that apple cake. I wish them the best. And don't forget to wear a mask when you go pick up your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the smallest gestures are very important to someone dealing with tragedy. Wear a mask and wash your hands so that they do not have to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH gosh... Your poor sister. I'm so sorry to hear about her and her poor husband. It's such a difficult time. You are very kind to do all you can for her.

    That apple cake sounds so very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear this sad news. You will cheer everyone up with your dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for comments.
    My BIL died on Wednesday evening. My sister's three children are with her and a sense of relief will settle in soon. He was a large part of making life a living hell for my sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.