Skip to main content

The Plant Sale Disappointment

I have always loved and used libraries in any town or city where I've happened to live. They have always given a sense of connection with the community itself as well as with the larger world that books and libraries open up. Living in the country, there is just not that much that is within walking distance so I love that our little town library can be a destination walk for me. But it is really so important to me as that link to community that I have found frustratingly elusive in this particular rural setting. So I try to support our library in any little way I can.



Last Saturday, there was a plant sale to raise some money for the library. I have many plants that are in need of dividing, so I did some digging and potting between rain showers on Friday. I really was not in the market for new plants unless there happened to be some vegetable sets so I did have to check out what was available. I did not need any more perennial flowers, but then of course I succumbed to the desire for some.



The sale works like this--you look around and find your first pick and then stand by it, guarding it until the leader gives a signal to make your first pick. You grab the plant and then run to guard your second choice. Your first choice costs $5.00; the second, $3.00; until its just grab what ever for 50 cents. I picked out an oxalis, dahlias, obedient plant, zinnia starts, and a small ground cover plant, the name of which I have now forgotten. Since my car was parked fairly far down the green, I piled my plants together in an out of the way spot and went to pay up. Then when I went to gather the plants into my vehicle--no plants to be found. I assume that some one's child or spouse was helping out a plant purchaser and loaded them unnoticed into a car by mistake. It was a disappointment though. Still, I didn't need them and sometimes the universe conspires to remind you of things like the difference between wants and needs. No harm done. And now I do not have to look for another place to expand or start a new flower garden. Taking on the new veg patch was enough for this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.