Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Hair

Kay, on her blog Musings, recently posted about shampoo.

I loved her first line:

        You know I'm having difficulty finding something to write about when I wander around the house staring at           things.

I had to laugh because I know that feeling all too well.

Her topic of shampoo got me thinking about hair because my hair was a fairly frequent topic of discussion during my winter in Florida.

Obviously, I don't spend a lot of time or money on my hair:



The guy that cuts my hair used to suggest "low lights" (whatever those are) but he has given up and now agrees I should just be grateful for a "healthy head of hair."

One woman with whom I walk the beach told me that my hair color does not suit me.  I should dye it red and then the two of us will go to the Senior Center to pick up men!!

Good grief!  I really do not see myself as a red head.  And quite frankly, if I want to pick up men, the Senior Center is not going to be my venue of choice.*

Other friends staged what felt like an intervention, telling me I would look years younger if I just colored my hair.

A.  I would not feel in any way good about having chemicals dumped on my head. No, just no.  

And
B.  I quite like my hair just the way it is.

I should probably mention that no one thinks twice about hair in Vermont, the hippie-dippy natural state.  You've all seen Bernie.


*Sorry to be ageist. But here is my take on dating at a certain age, all the same:


Growing old with someone 

is a mystical mirror.
Looking in, I  see you,  
as I see  myself,
the sinewy muscle,
fresh,  smooth skin,
and lush, full lips
ripe for kissing,
even as it fades, a hint
of boundless energy.

Oh how memory softens
sharp edges of reality, 
the good old days and
getting through the bad.
The brutal fact remains -- 
and sad to say --
we are not bottles of wine 
nestled in Chateau Margaux 
aging into perfection.

Don’t think I whine about 
Growing old...No.
I mourn the loss of
Shared memories, 
shared illusions preserving
that reflection of youth
Because frankly
men my age 
Are just so darn old.


March, 2017




13 comments:

  1. You could be a cougar and hook up with younger men:-) By the way, what's wrong with the Senior Center? Can be lots of fun:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick to your convictions lady! I still get it from my kids too. 65+ and still have my long hippy dippy hair. Can't imagine otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to wear your hair the way you want to wear your hair. I have gray in the front and the rest is brown. People ask if I dye the gray that way. I laugh. No, it's the real thing. The one thing I enjoy about being 61 is that I can do whatever the hell I want. So far that is the only thing I have found good about being 61 actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that hair is perfect for being pampered by studly young men. I play the age card shamelessly. Had to laugh at the senior center not being your "venue of choice.*

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I am always complaining about my hair. It's long and thick - and I am at that stage where I have 2-3 colors as my gray hair takes over. I mostly just braid my hair down my back.On days when my arm won't lift, I put it all in a ponytail. I wish for a short haircut one day, but my goal is to cut it and donate it to children with cancer. I have a few more inches to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I colored my hair for years but have let it go - curly white hair has energy!

    Depends on the activities at the senior center, I guess. I'm still attracted to a good brain and an interesting conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If he's not your own old guy, then he's just an old guy.
    I have never colored my hair. Going gray gradually was to me a normal process, and one I earned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So your Florida friends should be a reality show. I would love to know how they get sexy looking and develop one-liners. I used to color my hair, but I am old and everyone knows it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No chemicals in my hair either. I just get it buzzed at #8 setting and watch it grow in very fast. I loved the dating topic lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my most read blog posts written years ago has been Red Head Aging Naturally -- and that means including my hair as it's beautiful color has gradually changed. Maybe I should up date that post. Stick to your guns!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.