Skip to main content

Change

It was a cloudy day on the beach the last time Mike and I went for a walk there--at least when we first got there.
 
 
 
Things change day to day, minute to minute.  The tides or a strong storm can carve a whole new face on the beach.  Some days treasures are littering the sand.  Another day there is just sand.  We see a lot more people, especially families with children visiting grandparents, at this time of year...but not today--too early, too cloudy.

There were plenty of pelicans out fishing.  Mike wanted a picture of them, but he always insists on the panoramic view.  The smudges are pelicans, trust me on that.

I tried to introduce him to the concept of changing the lens and zooming in, but some are just naturally more resistant to change than others.

This is another example of change and resistance to change.  Eight years ago this was a dead tree that stood on what was once a roadway.  It was almost exactly a mile from the beach access to the north and a half mile from the beach access to the south.  It became a landmark of sorts and everybody referenced the "dead tree" when setting a meeting place or describing where good sharks' teeth were found and so on.

Then the tree fell over.  Sand has been washing over it.  Some of the branches stick out, but it no longer looks like a tree.  It looks like a dead bush, maybe.  Still,  nearly everyone refers to the the "dead tree."  I am sure it is confusing to newcomers who do not know the history.

It seems that every year there is an effort by some group or another to have this particular section of the beach--by the dead tree--declared a clothing optional beach.  Unless you really consider those bits of spandex thong things clothing, I would say it already is clothing optional, but it is a change that the city council resists making official.

On the whole, that particular resistance is probably a good thing.  This is not where the beautiful people and the spring breakers hole up.  I once heard someone say that people in Florida and other warm climates are in much better shape than the rest of the country because their clothing is more revealing because of the weather and so they make more of an effort to stay in shape.  And maybe that is so, but they are also more exposed to the ravaging effects of the sun.  Not all change is for the better.

Comments

  1. I love when you share your Florida adventures! I'll take your word for it that they're pelicans!
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florida seems like an alternate universe to me right now. I enjoy reading of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change happens, as they say. As that is probably a good reason to keep it covered up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the nude beach. My only experience with one convinced me that the people who frequent them would be better served keeping their clothes on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a regular Snowbird visitor to Florida, my vote is: keep the nude beaches in California. But your post ... oh, how it makes me want to take a walk in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love walking on a beach? It's one of my favorite things to do... early in the morning or around sunset. I'm not one for swimming, but walking by the water or sitting by the ocean is so-oo serene. It puts life into perspective. I once had all my priorities slip into place while standing on a pier during a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the beach--the air, the colors, the sounds.

      Delete
  8. A friend of mine did a student exchange in Germany. He went to a nude beach--once. He said that for 90% of the people, from the neck down it was a toss up which was male and which was female. I would probably fit right in. However, my interests in public aesthetics dictates that I remain fully clothed at any beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am much too vain to be seen in public in the nude...or even with sleeveless shirts.

      Delete
  9. Do I detect a sadness? I am in the land of snow and beaches sure look great right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sad. Even on a cloudy day the beach is beautiful to me.

      Delete
  10. I could never do the nude beach thing. Couldn't have gotten up the nerve to do it when I was young and gravity hadn't taken over and I sure am not going to ever find the nerve to do it now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.