Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Salad

Can you stand another 'recipe'?


This salad was a throw-together for a vegetarian meal one night when Mike wanted a pork chop.  I cooked his meat, but it was just not what I was in the mood for.  The salad is some of the rice that I served to him and some of the corn.  I added about a cup of quinoa and a a half cup of garbanzo beans.  The dressing is just lemon juice and olive oil with salt and pepper.  There is some fresh basil thrown in.  If I had mint, I would have liked that in it.  I had it with roasted carrots.


DSCN2325Tasty and lots of good protein to fuel my walks.  Or bike rides.  My new bike should be ready early this coming week.


Quinoa is a seed with subtle flavor.  It mixes well with grains and I will throw leftovers of this concoction over a lettuce and tomato salad to add the protein.  Quinoa contains a very high quality protein, since it contains all eight essential amino acids.


Mike just gives it his pinched-nose look.   It is a good thing I do not mind cooking--what with having to make twice as many meals as most.

8 comments:

  1. More power to you. I guess I'd have to be in Mike's corner. Love protein !! Can't wait to see a picture of your new bike!!! Did you also order a big basket to bring things home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum, Quinoa is a new to me item that I will see if I can find. That sounds like a nice lite meal and that is my favorite dressing.
    Can't wait to see your new bike. I am so envious of your flat land biking trails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the foods you listed -- including the pork chops! Hope you have fun on the new bike!
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Quinoa is all the rage but I have not tried it yet. We tend to be meat and vegetable eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have not tried Quinoa. I do like my meat dishes at least 4 times a week. But the other three I can be happy with almost anything...popcorn, bowl of cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Quinoa - True Food Kitchen (an Andrew Weil restaurant) makes salads using it. Yippee - a new bike - what color? Well - I'll wait for the picture. (But, I hope it's red.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great that you are where you can ride that new bike and you are having such great weather.Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lov salads. Salads and soup are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.