Skip to main content

Summer Doldrums

This has been a strange summer with a definite lack of summertime fun.  My grandchildren are off on various travels. The rains fall almost daily here. The packing up to get ready to sell the condo is poking along. Don has been experiencing some medical problems -- a lifetime of working in various construction trades catching up with his knees, back, feet. 

Then there was the whole thing with changing my phone service which resulted in having to get a new number. I am still working on getting the information out there. I particularly love the automated customer service routine that tells me it will send a code via text so I can make changes to my account. So helpful to have one option that clearly doesn't meet my needs.

And of course the rains. Everything is lush and green, but we haven't seen much of the sun and many are dealing with flood damage to homes and vehicles.

Nothing big or catastrophic going on -- just ho-hum.

So to look at the brighter side:

  • There's the little red haired boy who goes for walks in the neighborhood dressed in a bright yellow rain suit and sometimes carrying a blue umbrella and always has something funny to say and invites. "Jump in the puddoos, Wevi!"
  • There's the young couple who walk their baby girl in a stroller. At first, Levi could not understand why there were no little dogs in the stroller (being a Florida dog in his formative months). But she is so excited to see Levi that she bounces up and down and reaches out both arms and laughs.
  • There are the 4 and 6 year old neighbors who run over when ever they see Don outside and who leave painted rocks all around the neighborhood with encouraging messages -- Look an Nature, You Can Do It!, etc.
I don't miss living in a 55+ community for one second.

Comments

  1. I do hope all goes well with the condo sale, and Don's health issues can be eased somewhat.
    The children in your neighbourhood sound like a lot of fun! When we moved in here there were some younger children, but 13 years later, they are all teenagers or older. Funny how that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your health issues. Good luck with selling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never lived in a 55+ community and we thought about it before moving to this home. I'm glad we didn't. I can see where that wouldn't be for us through your post. Hope Don will be well. I mean I still need a handyman Olga now that mine is broken, My outlet and light switch plates are all crooked and you know I'm like Don!😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your child friends sound delightful, and a sure way to add joy to your life. I need some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy living four miles outside the city limits on 10 acres but rarely see any neighbors. Your walkers in front of your home sound so interesting. I do see a lot of nature however...deer, foxes, coyotes, cows, horses, opossums, raccoons, etc.,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the red hair boy with all that color. Must be an artist's delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a little boy at the apartments start talking to me the other day. His front door was open and I saw him turn and reply, "Its Grandmama." He didn't know my name but he recognized a safe Grandmother to talk to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.