Skip to main content

Currently Reading

 


The Last Resort is a look at the history, present, and future of the beach vacation industry. The author gives insights to a wide range of aspects of tourism -- financial, social, cultural, political, and environmental impacts. All the impacts are considerable.

I was most taken with the story of Fiji. Pre-resorts and it's discovery by the tourist industry there were clans, some fishing based and some farming based. Totems for the clans included the flora and fauna of the shore and forest. Turtles nested on the beach. The clans were interdependent and cooperative, a self sustaining society living under the Fijian concept of solesolevaki, translated as "the direct opposite of individualism." Not quite paradise because the area was prone to seasonal cyclones, but the community preserved and stored food and supplies sufficient to get all the people through the storms,

Then the developers came. The clans living near the beaches were promised a regular income for allowing hotels to be built near the ocean and those who farmed the land found work in construction and then in the hotels and restaurants. The people eventually were more and more independent --looking out for self and immediate family. Cooperation and community were no longer valued as before. The loss of flora and fauna was sad. Even the sand was lost because the seawalls changed the sea's natural beach renewal processes. The turtles lost their nesting areas. Sand washing out covered and killed the coral reefs.

Why didn't I think of writing a book about vacation beach resorts?  The research could have been fun. But now, having read this book,  I no longer want to go on a beach vacation. In fact, I have been in Venice since November and have only been to the dog beach once.

Comments

  1. In our hunger to reach pristine beaches and privacy, we forget the development that wreaks havoc. While I haven't been to a resort in more than 12 years, I do love to cruise, which creates its own issues on the ports and islands we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just returned from the South Carolina beach. I'm intrigued. Gotta read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to Hawaii. Lots of beach erosion and lots of Native Hawaiians living in poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an interesting book. I have always loved going to the beach, but never even thought about some of the things you mentioned. It's kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Gigi. It certainly sounds like Hawaii. It really is sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.