Skip to main content

Blood Work

 I saw my PCP for a routine med check and she ordered some routine blood tests and a urine analysis since she only sees me once a year if I can help it. I like my doctor, I just prefer not to get sick!

I've written before -- quite some time ago -- about my donating blood experience. I understand the importance, but frankly, I'm using my blood and I'm not inclined to share it. I can remember exactly one time in my life when the needle went into a vein and blood came out on the the first try. Mostly, I completely demoralize the first phlebotomist who ends up calling for back up.

Last Monday the phlebotomist tried my right arm and raised a bruise but no blood. She tried my left arm to no avail and then called for help. Third time was the charm, which is the typical scenario. I don't look at the needle, but it really doesn't hurt that much.

The all time record was thirteen pokes -- two women poking into both arms. I was having surgery for a deviated septum. I was told not to eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight. Surgery was scheduled for 11:45 a.m. but I was not even prepped until 5 p.m. Being overly compliant and sitting in the dry hospital waiting area, I was good and dehydrated by that time. Those poor women were apologizing and complimenting my stoicism. I said that there was really nothing else I could do, but they said, "Oh, you'd be surprised what people can do in times like this."

But the worst time was a phlebotomist at my doctor's office who thought it was funny to be making vampire jokes. I was not being amused. In fact, I was feeling about to faint when she noticed my dead white face and stopped talking abruptly. I told my doctor I would go to the lab after that.



Comments

  1. Thirteen pokes is torture. Don't blame you for being hesitant. When ever I get a good phlebotomist I compliment them repeatedly, even tend to gush. I hate when they poke you, then go fishing with the needle. So far around here they have all been rock stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did compliment that woman who did it in one!

      Delete
  2. Yikes, as someone who has never experienced multiple pokes, this sounds absolutely dreadful. I'm glad it only took two this time. Good luck with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. 13 pokes. That is really difficult. I cannot donate blood, I just pass out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a similar problem. Many blue wounds on both arms. The last time, she found success finally by poking the vein in my left hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg I am so sorry!! With all the pokes I've had this year I am glad there is one vein only they can get something in and out of and that I just don't look anymore. But 13 pokes? Yikes I'm certain that would make me never to want to give blood, donate blood or another good reason not to have anymore chemo. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. 13 pokes?! Wow. I have never had more than one. Good veins, at least so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to have good veins (thank goodness)... so only once did they have difficulty and that was because I was dehydrated. They tend to take blood a lot these days, so I'm pretty used to it and most of the time the person taking it is good at what they do. But I can easily understand your hesitance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes, I wrote a post about this very thing recently. I really sympathize. It happened to you too!!! But 13 pokes? Wow! I guess I shouldn't complain with my two. Granted it took 4 when they did my reclast infusion a couple of years ago. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem with small, rolling veins. I can usually do a regular blood test without too much trouble if I am forewarned and drink lots of liquid. However the fasting blood tests I have to take are pretty hard. I don't go to the blood testing company lab anymore. I'm sure their plebs are good but I'm like you when the third person is called in, I've already given up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.