Skip to main content

Can't Think of a Title

 I am crap at judging space and distance, any kind of measurement.

I have a couple nice sets of nesting pyrex bowls with covers for leftovers. I am constantly choosing the wrong size -- overflowing a bowl that is too small or giving up refrigerator real estate with a bowl way too large.

I have had a quilt planned for months now. I have the material but it sits there waiting for me to finally get over my anxiety over doing the cutting. Measure twice and cut once? How about measure ten times and cut at least three times?

I once watched my brother putting down carpet for our mom. He cut to go around a doorframe without taking out his measure and it fit perfectly. How are we even related? Which one of us is the milkman's kid, Mom?

Obviously, parking my car is a huge scary burden for me.

I could not get my little Ford C-Max straight in parking space. I don't attempt parallel parking or backing into a space. Dane would get out of the car and laugh hysterically at the wonky angle of the car. Now I have a Ford Edge, a MUCH larger car. I swear I aim for the center of the two lines, but somehow my perception is off or the lines actually move. I don't know.

Yesterday I went to the vegetable market. It's a very busy place so even the farthest spaces get filled up sometimes. I saw a space open up in the last row and pulled into it. I saw that I was pretty far from the car on my left so I looked to the right and sure enough -- way to close and, worse, the driver was sitting in that car. I backed out and tried again. I fiddled around getting my bags and making sure I had my list before I got out of the car. 

When I headed toward the store I heard the other driver call out, "Thank you for your consideration." Oh no, was that sarcastic? Was an angry man going to rant at me for my lousy parking attempt? I turned around and he was smiling and waving. "Really, thank you for moving over and giving me the space. Most people would not have bothered."

Honestly, a couple of week ago I walked out of Walmart without whatever it was I went there for because people were SO cranky -- customers and staff both. It was hurting my soul. I thanked that man for his patience and his kind words and felt a little bit better about the human condition. makes me want to do better.




Comments

  1. Oh my! What a post! It made me laugh. So hilarious! Are you that bad??? Anyway, I am glad that the man made you feel better. We need such people in our sorry little lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigi, I may exaggerate a bit for effect, but I am pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga, when we first got our Lincoln MKC, I was at a loss with the press button ignition, no gears to shift, and that video camera that has the screen to help you park. For the longest, I couldn't trust that screen and just had to look behind me. Now, I'm better... but I wouldn't say that I was good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for a light hearted post, with a heart warming ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rian, The back up camera confuses me. I lose track of right and left and I think it is dangerous.

    Linda, I have not been watching the news lately and I find I have a much sunnier disposition. But not watching news is not something I can sustain for long. Just have to store up some happy thoughts once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? You can't be that bad:) Thanks for the smiles. So glad you ran into such a nice man. I know how he feels though for I had someone park so close I had to get in the passenger side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It appears we have something in common Olga.
    Don't even get me started on parallel parking.
    I wish all parking spaces were the size of Costco. Have you ever notice? They are a parking space and a half. No door issues, just perfect for an imperfect parker like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As bad as you are at parking, I am at backing up. I cannot back up in a straight line to save my life. And then when I see these folks backing up into a parking spot and I'm not sure whether to be in awe or to consider giving up driving.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we have to parallel park I get out of the car and my husband Art gets in the driver's seat and does it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margaret -- we will have to have a contest. In a Costco parking lot. After hours. To protect the innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post too, Olga. I'm not great with spatial approximation either. Art usually says, "Let me do it," recognizing that I'm probably going to screw up his organizing pattern in the fridge space. As for parking, let's not even go there. How nice that the gentleman was a kind, thoughtful gentleman. And how sad that you're running into cranky people. Gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how that man let you know he really did appreciate your consideration. I often have to move my car after driving in to park and seeing I am too close to one side or the other. When people are cranky I think of how I don't know what stress they are under. We can't even see each others' smiles these days with our masks on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.