Skip to main content

Brown Stains Remain on the Ceiling.

I'm not especially proud of it but I must confess that I do have a whiny Karen character living inside me. You will probably notice her presence if you read though this post.

Last December 26th I was at my daughter's place having Christmas time with her and the grandkids. All very nice until I got a phone call from my condo neighbor. Her upstairs toilet was badly clogged, she had someone coming, but her downstairs ceiling was flooded and leaking and it was as bad if not worse at my place. I headed right home.

Maybe I should have anticipated this since she had the same houseful of family for Thanksgiving and the same thing happened, not quite as bad.

Fortunately Don had gotten it mostly cleaned up by the time I made the trip and the pumper guy was there finishing up. My neighbor saw me coming from the car and rushed out to ask me to pay half the $500 bill.  Welcome home and Merry Christmas! The homeowners' association did pay us back.

That was just before I left for Florida. In January I got an email from the property management person in charge of our condo development.  They were going to fix the plumbing and had an estimate for the work to be done. The Association would pay have the $5000 and my neighbor and I would split the other half. There would be no disruption to my place (according to the email) because all the work would be done on the neighbor's side.

Now this had happened before. Thanksgiving of 2018, a flood of water came out of the dining room lamp. It didn't leave stains like this last time but I did have to put in a new ceiling fixture. Anyway, Don had cut a hole in the ceiling to see where the leak came from and discovered that all the pipes run over my ceiling and then down the main waste water pipe. There is a connection coming from the neighbors that sends their waste over my ceiling. I saw all that with my own eyes so I emailed back asking who made this estimate and how it was made without anyone seeming to know where the pipes were or what the actual underlying problem was. I wasn't going to agree to a plan that had no basis is reality. No response. I called and left a message. No response.

Late in February Don told me that someone had made a hole in Sandy's ceiling only to discover that indeed the pipes were not located there. Then I get another email from Mr. K informing me that they need access to my unit to assess the plumbing. I wrote back saying I was going to remain for a few months but I gave him Don's number and said to make arrangements with him. He never did contact Don, nor did he get back to me.

In the meantime my neighbor is calling me because she wants her ceiling fixed. Well, so do I but it's not making sense to fix a ceiling without first fixing the plumbing. It's happened several times; it's bound to happen again unless it is fixed.

I called and emailed both when I got home in June. No response.  I learned that Mr. K was on national Guard duty. All well and good for him, but wouldn't the professional thing to do -- have the email ping back with that information, indicate an alternate person in the office on the voice mail message?  At least I wrote a YELP review to that effect.

Lo and behold someone from the office did call me then and last week Mr. K called and arranged a meeting for today. He came with a guy from the pumping service who wanted to remove my upstairs toilet in order to put a camera down so he could find the pipes. No! I can tell you exactly where the pipes are. And Don call tell you exactly how the connecting piece is plumbed incorrectly and violates fire codes because it made of PCV and could easily a fire between units.

The fire story will come in another post. 🔥

Mr. K announced he would write up an estimate for what we don't know but he did announce that he was not responsible for bringing the place up to code. He was really huffy about it too.

Funny when I sold my house I had to bring everything that wasn't code in 1969 when it was built up to current codes and certify that at the closing. Maybe condos have different rules although I would have thought they's be stricter because of impact to more people.

Ain't nobody all that happy today.

So brown stains remain on my ceiling. You know it would be gross enough if they came from my own clogged toilet . . . but somebody else's . . . i just don't think that is acceptable.


Comments

  1. What a cluster f..k. It seems in trying to avoid paying, they are all refusing to look the problem square on. Stand firm until you get a real fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't quite understand how this is your responsiblity to pay? It was damaged from your neighbor - why are you having to pay for what happened from her unit? Did I miss something? I'm old you know. Having just gone through all this "crap" I feel for you. I hope this gets settled sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes what a mess. I'm with Linda, make them do it right. Sorry you are having to go through this in an all ready trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will insist on knowing whether or not the "fix" proposal comes from a licensed plumbing firm and I will insist that they pull the necessary permit and have the inspection done because I am darn sure that once they open up my ceiling they are in fact required to bring things up to code. I looked up a 2011 law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Awful situation. Something similar happened to me when I lived in an apartment in New York City back in the early 1970s. The toilet in the apartment above mine leaked big time. Water all over the place. A huge chunk of the ceiling hanged down. Oh it was awful. But, then it got fixed and I can't remember if I paid for it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not a whiny Karen at all...those individuals complain about stuff that is ludicrous. Brown stains and plumbing issues are definitely worth standing up for yourself and getting it done right, the first time.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope is all gets sorted before another flood of water comes out of the dining room lamp. Keep after them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not whining. Karens are all about white privilege.
    This is fighting for your rights! What a horrid mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry. Very annoying and expensive and not sure why you are liable! At least you have someone else to complain with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor you. I haven't had that problem but my mother had over leaks in two different houses. I have a low tolerance for those kind of problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.