Skip to main content

Binging

 I went for my pre-cataract surgery checkup and I was deemed healthy enough to undergo the procedure. However, there was a mild suggestion that perhaps I have been engaging in pandemic related binging? Followed by a mild reminder that my blood pressure does not benefit from salty potato chips and a have put on a slight amount of weight. Oh, bobbins!

There Are Three Kinds Of Binge Watchers. Which One Do You Think You Are?That's not the binging I had in mind when I wrote the title for this post. I was thinking about television binging.

I used to watch the show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy back in the early 2000's. I love a good make-over show. Mike used to roll his eyes and threaten to put parental control on my TV and then he would go downstairs to watch the history channel.

Netflix now has a Queer Eye series with a new fab five line-up. I didn't even think to watch it at first because I tend to be disappointed in remakes and spin-offs. I have a loyalty streak.

But, you know, COVID happened and I have been watching a lot more television and doing a lot less reading because my eyes stopped focusing too fast when looking at print. I finally gave Queer Eye a try and it took me two episodes to become obsessed.

I don't for one single minute believe that they transform a person's home, mental or physical health, food habits, relationships, fashion sense, relationships, and world view in the space of five days. 

And I know there has been push back about stereotyping because the show could suggest that gay men are only into interior design, fashion and hair. Personally, I have known many gay men for whom none of that is in the least bit true. But if you are going to do a design, fashion or hair make-over, I am going to be interested.

What I really love is that they do what they do with apparent joy, with kindness, with genuineness.

Binging television and binging potato chips kind of go together though.

Comments

  1. If it weren't for the amount of walking I've been able to do this summer, I'd be in the same boat. Because I am fully in agreement that bingeing potato chips and television - in my case, sports are great partners.

    Good luck with your surgery. Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still sticking to the rule of no TV during the daytime. But we do watch a lot of HGTV in the evening, when we have nothing else to watch.I have also managed to resist the potato chips most days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the cataracts! What frustrated me so much was not being able to read.
    I think we all need to forgive ourselves until we find a new normal. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you I didn't want to watch the new Queer Eye, but then ended up loving it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are surgery ready and hopefully when you can see better maybe you will read more than watching TV. Reading and eating never went together for me.
    Enjoyed the original show but don't have any of the extra channels and haven't seen the new one.I don't really binge unless I am watching a double header ball game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We binge watch at night. So no potato chips ... just ice cream! If you're looking for suggestions I'd recommend "Call My Agent" on netflix about a Paris talent agency. It's fun; it's funny; and it's occasionally affecting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watch music videos on YouTube and eat Hershey's Almond Kisses while watching. No chips for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.