Skip to main content

Vegetable Bounty

I might be the only snowbird left here in my neighborhood.  Five of the six places surrounding me emptied out over the past week.

The HOA reopened the pool but social distancing must be maintained and there is no moving of the lounge chairs all carefully placed six feet apart. In order to access the pool you have to sign a waiver drawn up by the lawyer for the association board because they "care about the safety of the residents." My reading of the form was that they seemed more concerned about not being sued but I'm not a lawyer and I don't even watch them on TV.

The beaches near here are open but the last I heard the parking lots were all still closed. That's one way to control crowds. There are miles and miles of beach but so many people want to park their cars as close to the access as possible and then park their bodies as close to the other end of the access walks as humanly possible.

One of my neighbors left a bag of about six pounds of zucchini and summer squash, two big cucumbers, and a shallot on my car port since she was leaving and had already cleaned her stove and oven. She, her sister, her male-main squeeze friend, her daughter and her son-in-law make up three of the places surrounding me and are all leaving together. Since I knew they were very busy closing houses and packing for the trip, I made them a zucchini and summer squash lasagna. What was I thinking?!? (Probably: HA! Think you're going to stick me with six pounds of zucchini) Dropping off a lasagna to a bunch of Italians -- that was a risk I didn't clearly think out ahead of time.

However, they all thanked me profusely and seemed to have genuinely enjoyed their dinner and claimed to have had not a speck of leftover. I also sent a cucumber salad and some bread. I had some for myself and I thought it was good but I am not much of a carnivore.  I did have some hamburger in the freezer, but I used my fake-news burger that I make from brown lentils, bulgur wheat, ground flaxseed, flaxseed oil, onions and anchovy paste (my secret ingredient is lots of things I make). No noodles, just the vegetables. I make my tomato sauce with Muir Glen organic canned tomatoes, fire roasted.  The self-appointed Lidia Bastianich of the group, who also claims Mafia connections for her family, said, "I am not sure what you put in that dish but it was really tasty -- not Italian, but really tasty."

I think Italians use lentils, just maybe not in lasagna so much. Anyway, I dodged a bullet!



I still have about three pounds of summer squashes to deal with tough!

Comments

  1. Oh gosh. Such trying times. Yes, we call our Canadians in the south snowbirds, too. But our military flyers are The Snowbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbors are all social-distancing and no gardens this year. You are all so kind to share. Thanks for commenting on my recent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all social distance but we do drop offs of little gifts sometimes and call our from the ends of our driveways. It's been a strange season.

      Delete
  3. oh this made me smile. As an Italian America I have never heard of a family member using lentils or for that matter any of the things you used in a lasagna. I loved her 'compliment'. It was very good, just not lasagna. :-) I could hear an old aunt saying such a rude thing to someone. As a 64 yr old first generation American I can tell you that no one wishes to make Italian food for Italians. I hate it when an Aunt would say, what did you put in this? As if her way is the only way. But the thing is, every family has"their" way. How my mom made sauce is not the same as the other side of the family made sauce. Every family has their spin on it and that's what you did. So you're an Honorary vegetarian Italian. :-) And btw anchovy paste is so flavorful. I don't eat anchovies but I sure love the flavor they add...go figure. I use this a lot in salad dressings and savory dishes. I bet that was a damn good lasagna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cooking gets more creative the closer I get to closing down the place and heading back north. I get panicky abut using everything up. But I too would not put an anchovy im my mouth, but when the paste is mixed into something, I love the flavor boost.

      Delete
  4. That googled image doesn't show on my screen. Maybe you should re-do it. I like the sound of the food you made. Invite me next time, will you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, next time you are in the neighborhood, drop by! I assume social distancing will be over by then.:)

      Delete
  5. If they are clearing out, how are they getting home? Hope not flying. That needs some work yet.
    That was a thoughtful gift and you reciprocated nicely. We all may be making fake news burgers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a very kind gesture on your part, but I do sense an ulterior motive. Too much zucchini!
    I hope you don't get lonely, losing your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While it was nice of your neighbours, I'm not sure I'd have been very happy with so much squash! Good of you to reciprocate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good to me. Beware the Mafia connection as I was once warned by my Italian Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it's one thing to have a lot of zucchini; and quite another to have zucchini and summer squash lasagna. I'm sure they loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.