Skip to main content

Dinner and a Play

I went to see the Venice Theater production of Guys and Dolls this Sunday afternoon. It was an enjoyable outing. It always amazes me how elaborate the sets are for this relatively small community theater. It really is very well supported by area businesses and civic minded individuals. There also seems to be no shortage of musical ability in the area and opportunities to attend theater and concerts. And there is no apparent shortage of those willing to volunteer behind the scenes.

The show ran for three hours, including a fifteen minute intermission. Not all of the actors were young, but they all had enormous energy. It struck me that it must be a labor of love because it has to be an exhausting endeavor and the show runs for a month.

Some people were heading out for dinner after the play but I had planned to go home and relax. I had gone out to dinner on Saturday night. It was called "A Taste of Sri Lanka," a fundraiser for the Buddhist Meditation Center where I go for both meditation and yoga. Monks from Sri Lanka and their friends and family members prepared the food which was very good although I avoided the spicier dishes. Wambatu moju was my favorite -- a pickled dish of eggplant and onions.

Meals in Sri Lanka are typically eaten with fingers -- no utensils. I didn't see anyone giving that a try, not even the monks. There was music and a silent auction to round out the evening. I didn't win anything in the auction -- I was too caught up in conversation at our table to go and check my bid status. 

I did make a donation for the auction though:

Two little gift bags filled with goodies.


Now the weekend is pretty well over and it will be back to my regular routine tomorrow. Yeah, retirement is a rough way to live if you can do it right. 


Comments

  1. That certainly sounds like a whole lot of fun! I haven’t been to a play in such a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a good time.
    I love silent auctions!!!! Good for you for doing yoga. I used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommitted to yoga with a vengeance after my friend fell and shattered her hip. I want to guard my bones and my balance because I don't ever want to got though anything like that.

      Delete
  3. Your last comment made me laugh. It's true! I'm loving retirement and while I don't get out - it is winter here yet - there are lots of opportunities to enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a live performance. So glad you are taking advantage. The food sounded like an adventure. What--no fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a typical way to live for us in Hawaii. People are always amazed that I never go to the beach anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister-in -law is very active in community theater in California. As a writer and performer in their productions she spent a tremendous amount of time and energy.
    Good for you for being such an active participant in your winter community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great outing. You are lucky to have such great entertainment around you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how we have to recuperate from nights out. I do love live theater and wish I had more opportunity down in this rural area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss having live theatre involvement though we didn’t do musicals. Glad you are able to enjoy seeing some now. I’ve always loved musicals on stage, in the movies. Recall John Davidson when he was still in college with an outstanding performance in The Fantastiks. More recently, but the last live stage musical I’ve seen was a revival of one of Gershwin’s successful Broadway shows on a sparse little stage in L.A. featuring a friend’s actor brother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to know that you spent a good time watching the play!! Though I haven't been to a play ever, I am always amused by the fact that the actors spend the same effort every time they have the show. Isn't that challenging to perform before a live audience with the same devotion? Happy to know that you also practice yoga. Wambatu Moju sounds tempting; I am going to get the recipe right away. Thanks for the great read, Olga!! Have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoyed the play. I love to watch live dramas. In my Music institute in Coimbatore, theatre artists used to organize dramas at the weekend. I usually love dishes prepared with eggplant. Should try out wambatu moju. The gift bags that you donated looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.