Skip to main content

Resolution

I really do try to eat a healthy diet and get exercise. There are times I have been exemplary in that regard and times when one or the other gets put aside. Over the past six months or so, both efforts have kind of fallen by the wayside. Not totally forgotten really, just sliding down on the list of life's priorities. I was beginning to feel it.

In December I dedicated myself to yoga and upped the number of classes. But, hey, it was the holiday month and there were too many opportunities to indulge. It's  the perfect time for comfort food and hearty winter meals after all. And then there are the get togethers and Christmas treats. I was buying my vegetables and finding that I had to throw them out because they were not getting eaten before they spoiled. It was dark early. I was hungry. I wanted to get into my pajamas, not chop vegetables. I just wanted to make sandwiches rather than cook. Easier to have a fat old muffin over making a bowl of oatmeal. I was feeling the lack of smart nutrition and looking it too.

When i got to my Florida happy place for the beginning of a new year, I decided to do better. In addition to yoga, I can get in good walks and long bike rides. I decided to make a fresh start with the whole eating thing. I signed up with a friend to do the Shaklee Prove It challenge. It starts with a cleanse -- loads of fresh vegetables, raw or lightly sauteed, and seven days of green supplements, an herbal laxative, and a probiotic. No coffee, alcohol, grains, nuts, dairy or meat. Lots of water. Fresh fruit allowed but I tend to go more for the veg.

I was flat out exhausted the first two days but I had made the commitment. The third day I woke up full of energy. I won't say I will never have coffee or wine again and I missed nuts big time. However, I really felt much better, more energetic and alert by the end of the cleanse.


LUXEAR Fresh Produce Vegetable Fruit Storage Containers 3Piece Set, BPA-free Fridge Storage Container, Partitioned Salad Container, Fridge Organizers, Used in storing Fruits Vegetables Meat Fresh FishI have produce keepers for the fridge similar to these and I think they are great. It really helps me to have fruits and vegetables prepped and ready to go at meal time. It adds a bit of time to the whole shop and put away routine but it is worth it to me. These type of containers so keep things fresh longer and they cut done on the use of disposable plastic bags.


Dinner of my pre-prepped cauliflower, green beans, green peppers, carrots and onions with a smidge of basil pesto and feta.

I bought those carrot chips already cut like that and they could be my new favorite food.

I know, nothing worse than a born again health nut.

Comments

  1. I get this! Fell off the wagon and then went to California. It's a tough struggle all year for me. But I don't eat grains and I don't eat gluten so that limits me right there. I admit I did had grains in California with brown rice and quinoa. But grains bloat me something terrible. I think I could be a vegetarian but then after 2 weeks I crave meat. Are you finding that yet? If not great for you Olga. I would think it's easier in Florida. I don't like to eat much in warm weather. Give me this 39 degree stuff and I want a nice warm casserole that we all know is bad for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I've been trying to eat more veg and less carbs since the new year as well. However, I've yet to cut out coffee. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While cleanses are good I think I cannot give up many of the "bad" foods, so I just attempt moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's easier to exercise and eat right in the warmer weather. So enjoy Florida! As for me, I love salads. It's my one saving grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right. There is something about Florida that makes it easier. Also not being bundled up -- that's not fat, it's an extra sweater --can't get away with that so much in FL.

      Delete
  5. Gee do you hire out? Seriously, sounds like a really workable plan. Think I'll look for those carrots. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste like carrots, which I love anyway. But there is something about that ridged texture that really makes it feel like a snack food.

      Delete
  6. We've been eating vegetarian for several years and prepping the fresh veggies is work and eating them in a timely fashion requires some planning. I make a lot of soups which I call variously stew, chili, or soup so Bob thinks it's a different meal (it's not...). We don't eat much meat or dairy - occasionally if we're invited out, we have some. We do eat seafood. I believe we still eat too many grains, but they're a lifesaver if I don't know what to cook! Pasta anyone? (with veggies, of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very much like how I eat. I do love pasta but finding that more vegetables over less pasta works for me.

      Delete
  7. Like Tabor, I just go for moderation, cutting back on amounts and being consistent with exercise.
    Since I cook for two, we have complete meals every evening, I just eat less than he does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I was going to do a cleansing like this I think I would do a de-caffine purge first. I only drink 1-2 a day but I know I feel a difference when I have to run out with my cuppa. If this works well for your body then I think you are doing great. Major changes are really hard work. I applaud you for trying much less succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said in a comment above, I find it a good spiritual exercise. You really can't do a cleanse like this without mindfulness.

      Delete
  9. Well, good for you. I have to get started on my exercise and diet regimen, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny- born again health food nut! I admire your yoga prowess- I can hardly get off the floor but feel too young at 72 to do senior chair yoga haha. I did sign up for a produce service- it's supposed to start February first and they will deliver 5 things to me for $20- local except when they can't supply it. Eggs are extra and I'm debating getting them- and oh yes, artisan bread for $5 more YUM but not for me now. I'm not a big bread eater but I know I'd pig out with PB/honey on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! That sounds wonderful! No nuts though? Darn! I need my nut snacks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.