Skip to main content

Happy Place

I took a picture of the Burlington (VT) airport while waiting for boarding. I'd upload it here except I deleted it since it just looked like a mistake (is there such a thing as a butt click?) because it was all shades of gray -- not even fifty to make it interesting, just maybe six or seven shades of gray.

It was a drizzly, icy start to the morning. My friend had already called me like three times to let me know there was no way I was getting out of Vermont because of the weather. She hates when I go to Florida.

The plane was 20 minutes late with take-off (scheduled for 7:30 a.m.) but then the pilot made that up on the way to Chicago (I was on the zigzag route). The plane was pretty filled with  young children and babies. Visits to grandparents were over and families were headed home.

I had what I was thinking would be a two hour layover in O'Hare, but of course it was really three hours because I had forgotten about the time zone change. I would rather have time to get to my gate then sit and read as opposed to a mad dash to make a connection.

It gave me time to realize that I had forgotten my keys to the Florida place. I called the woman who checks the house in my absence and she went to unlock for me. I do have a set of keys here. Now I have a third set in a little magnetic box hidden outside. A momentary panic followed by sincere prayer (answered) that I would reach Anne.

There were no children or even that many young people of the flight from Chicago to Sarasota. In fact, boarding took a very long time because of all the wheelchair passengers. Okay, I had the right plane for sure, headed for the land of the retired.

Other than the key glitch, it was an uneventful trip and I was home by five. It was still light outside! Sun! It was warm!


I am in my happy place.

It was a little jarring to see all the Christmas decorations. I had taken mine down of course so naturally I thought of Christmas as OVER.

Comments

  1. Welcome back. I live in Venice too part time and have been going through the same "where do I live?" feelings. Always good to get out of the grey and cold and into the sunny and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you are brave to make such dramatic changes this time of year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a safe, if seemingly long, trip. But it must be worth it, as I saw it's 75 degrees in Sarasota today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the warm weather and the sunshine.

      Delete
  4. Glad you made it home to Florida safely. I'm with you, I'd rather have time at the gate than to be rushing to make a connection.

    Enjoy your time in the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be nice to have two homes. And I think it's better to fly than drive all that distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to be able to leave the snow and ice behind.

      Delete
  6. Admire your courage to fly. Just can't make myself do it. Say hello to the west coast of Fla. for me. My brother is down there now and this morning he said they were expecting sun but maybe 25 mile an hour winds. That makes bike riding tough. Hope you get just the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy driving and don't mind long car trips but if I want to be somewhere without caring what is between here and there, I would always choose flying.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like Florida is becoming more and more the place you identify with. I don't think I would have taken that flight because I had extended layovers. I really hate being stuck in the airplane and prefer being able to get out and walk around. Oh well, we go where they take us don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sun and warmth does sound good right now. It is 5:00 here as I type and it's not quite dark. That's an improvement! But of course it's wet and cold.
    We finished putting Christmas away here today. Moving on, but not quite as far as you! :-)
    Enjoy your days in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the sun! We usually keep most of our Christmas decorations till 3 Kings day- Jan. 6.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m glad you made it to Florida safely. I know all about those zigzag flights. There was one crazy time that we got on the plane at O’Hare, flew to Ohio and stayed on the plane, then flew back O’Hare and then flew to Hawaii. What the heck! So glad you have some warm weather to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made it! Well done. I'm not a good traveller. Happy times!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.