Skip to main content

Busyness

It's hard to believe that it is already half way through the month of June. The official start of summer will be here in a week. Good thing I finished spring cleaning yesterday.

There are so many things that I would like to be doing this summer and it seems as though I don't even have the time to adequately plan for anything. I have decided to volunteer at the town library here in my "new" town so I will be working on the annual book sale by sorting the donations that come in before the July 4th town extravaganza that includes the library book sale.

I have my group meditation practice on Sunday nights, yoga classes on Monday and sometimes Thursdays. Poetry workshop is also on Thursday night twice a month and there is a poetry discussion group that I attend one Saturday a month.
I meet with the group of women (some of whom are former work colleagues) to make cards. And there are the friends and family I meet for socializing, walking, talking and other entertainment events on a regular basis. I barely have time to read anymore! My gentleman friend is very understanding and seems glad that I enjoy my life.

I do miss my line dancing class from Florida. There doesn't seem to be such an opportunity here in VT although I did just see an ad for adult ballet lessons. I had ballet lessons as a child and my father had rather unkind things to say about my gracefulness. My maternal grandfather had hopes of turning me into a famous ballerina but he died when I was three or four so he didn't have to face that disappointment. My paternal grandfather taught me to polka -- don't have much in the way of opportunity to practice that lately either! I like to dance even if I am not so good at it.

Isn't there some expression about jack of all trades, mater of none, Captain Obvious?

Image result for Well rounded memes

Comments

  1. The poetry discussion group sounds interesting, and volunteering to sort books for the library book sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to send you an email but I don't see it listed here; I wanted to ask you how the poetry discussion group works? I am thinking of starting one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know ... how can we all be so busy when we're suppose to be retired?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you’re enjoying your many groups. I had myself involved in so many classes, groups
    and activities plus working part time after my husband died unexpectedly but by the time I finally retired at the end of my seventh decade I slowed down. Wish I’d done so sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice to me. All the activities that is. Who cares if you don't think you 'can' dance, just dance. It's moving and it's dance. If you like to ballet why not? I can't do anything well at all. I'm still trying and honestly who am I kidding? I will never be good at anything, But I still keep trying, never expecting much more than fun and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the saying goes, "dance like no one is watching" and just enjoy. You really have your week full but I am sure a little ballet will fit right in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took one class in ballet at the YWCA when I was in 6th grade, but had to quit because I preferred to take violin lessons. For a while, David and I took ballroom dance lessons and had lots of fun. But, that ended when David's arthritis got the better of him and he can't dance anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly stay busy, Olga. I feel like we stay busy too... but don't do half the things you do... and not sure I'd have the energy. I'm certainly not a dancer - did like to ride in years past, but not anymore. Do walk and would love to take Tai Chi at some point. But for now, reading, writing, pottery, and walking take up the week (oh, and occasionally napping!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you certainly have a full schedule. I'm not a dancer of any form, I think I was born with two left feet and no sense of rhythm. A friend wants me to join her at Zumba (or is it Zoomba?) In any event I've went to one class on a cruise and spent the entire time jumping up and down. Not a pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a full, busy schedule lined up for this summer when the kids all arrive. I may have to take another hiatus. Yikes. I'm always so amazed at all you do and how independent you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is great that you find so many great outlets. Keeping your mind and body busy is the best thing for a long, healthy life. I wish I had as many hobbies and interests as you. This diabetes slows me down so much. You go girl. Keep it up and have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.