Skip to main content

Springtime

I got back to Vermont. It was gray and rainy. Even the daffodils seemed depressed by the run of rainy weather.

But the next day was much nicer and those tender green buds that will soon be leaves made an appearance.  The grass is an emerald green that makes me just want to walk through it with bare feet. The soggy wet soil keeps from actually doing that. There are buds on rhododendrons and crab apple trees. Very soon there will be lovely blooms of pink and white.  I will take a short walk to the nursery across the street from the development where my condo is located and plan my mini garden for my deck.

I had several containers of plants in Florida.  Usually I give them away at the end of season.  This year I planted most of them (except the herbs that I know will not make it through a summer in Florida) in my little yard. Most of the plants this year were succulents. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, will survive. Will be interesting to see if I remember since I forgot to take pictures.

It was Green UP weekend here. Individuals and groups go out and clean up the trash that accumulates along the roadsides. It goes into bright green trash bags and then is picked up by town crews. Take a ride today because the pristine views will not last. Whatever makes some people think it's perfectly okay to toss coffee cups, beer cans or wine bottles out their windows is beyond me, but there you have it.

One of my favorite scenarios from a book is in Carl Hiassen's Sick Puppy. The main character is cruising along behind a guy in a convertible. Some trash flies out of the convertible and the m.c. is so outraged he follows the car to a restaurant where it is parked with top still down. The main character gets a garage truck (I've forgotten just how he manages that) and dumps the contents into the convertible. I've gotta read that book again.


Comments

  1. Good work, Green Up. We all do that during Earth Day Week!
    I love the plant story. I forget over winter what I have, and I'm so happy to see tulips where I forgot I put bubls in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that book Olga. And when I mention that one to people no one I have ever met has read it. I knew I liked you! :-)
    Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too cannot stand when I see beer cans and trash on our roads. There was some kind of clean up not too long ago, and I have seen a resident down the road do his own road clean up. If he hadn't I was going to. Nasty habit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for your community to do the clean-up. I know there are parts of our city that do so every year as well. Unfortunately it tends to be the same area, where people are less than particular about their properties.

    Now that was revenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a neat freak and hate untidiness and clutter. In Hawaii, there are brigades of people who actually clean the highways and beaches of debris for free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that you mention litter, I am extremely surprised that we don't have more on the boulevard. From my walks I have not noticed any. That is a major miracle. Good thing I'm having eye surgery. I might see a lot more after that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. welcome back to your summer home, despite the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is a good time to arrive back in Vermont. The greening and blooming is so glorious in northern climes that it makes the rainy days easier to take.
    I don't get the trash throwers either. A few days ago I yelled at a young man, a big fat young man in fact, who tossed a paper bag wrapped container in the ditch as he walked by me on the other side of the street. I said that he should pick up his trash, because this was my neighborhood too. He ignored me. I guess I should be glad that he didn't tell me to f off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a lover of rainy days, I think the daffodils were not depressed but bowing before the Rain Goddess, provider of all life. Of course there are limits to my love of rain and the current pattern of land slides and falling trees due to the daily deluges has inspired a bit of fear in my heart.

    I love the garbage in the convertible image. I have found you can triangulate the location of the nearest McDonalds (and other such establishments) by noting the locations of the fast food litter one Big Mac's distance away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get to catch spring without the gray waiting days. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am enjoying May Gray here in So Cal. Was delighted my poppies spread on their own and bloomed magnificently this year but they’ve retired now. Wish I had some more perennials coming up to bloom continuing after them, but haven’t figured out if there’s some seed I could spread there to do just that. Must talk with garden center I guess, since two of the places where I used to go have closed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.