Skip to main content

Summer is Not Gone Yet!

Summer 2018 is not gonna give up without a fight.

A couple of days ago I was getting out my winter coat to go out for the evening.  Monday was pleasantly warmer so I thought I had better take advantage of it and put away deck furniture and clean the deck.

My garage is small.  I hung the deck chairs from the rafters.  Good that I have a small car.


And then the temperatures shot up.  It's 78ºF today with a slight breeze blowing.  I would not be likely to go sit outside, even if i just took out a folding chair.  There are way too many bugs around.




These guys, box elder beetles, and also the Asian lady bugs are knocking at the back door, wanting to find shelter for the winter I suppose.  Well, I am not welcoming them in.

I did get out for a nice walk in a large field.  This property is located between the interstate highway and an industrial park.  The airport is a stone's throw away. Traffic and seven or eight planes taking off as I walked, but somehow the warm air, the view of the mountains. a spot of color, and interesting things to look at along the way made all the noise just fade into the background.


red clover, VT State Flower

thistle





The whales' tails are a sculpture along the interstate highway.  This is actually the first time I walked up to them.

This sign is posted at various spots along the trail.  I noticed three little baggies of dog poop along the way, just dropped beside the trail.
That struck me as a kind of hostile act.  I mean the feces itself would get washed away eventually, but   in a plastic bag, it's kind of there for the long haul.  Why are people like that?

Comments

  1. Goodness, why would they be so rude? You would think they would appreciate having a lovely place to walk their dogs.

    Enjoy the lovely weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next to the sign there ought to be a trash can for the bags. We have then in our parks and signs stating the fine for not scooping.
    Here too we just had to days of hot weather. It confuses much of the plants and wild life. Geese have yet to leave in massive groups to get south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder why people do not take responsibility for their garbage...cans, wrappers, dog poop. Lazy? Feeling they are the only one? I would not blame them for closing the trail. Maybe they should require permits. It is such a lovely place to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do they even bother to pick up the waste? If they are not going to place it in a receptacle they might as well leave it on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried sitting on my porch yesterday - it was warm and sunny - but the bugs won and I retreated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am wondering why did they bag the poop in the first place only to litter with the bags? Hard to understand some folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you got some color. Here it just seems that the leaves are turning brown and dropping off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos. It looked like a pleasant day despite the bagged poop. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good things on your walk, and one not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved those red leaves in the trees reminding me of our trip up the east coast into Maine many years ago. We don’t get that color here in So Cal. I think the maple trees you have add some lovely color. We had a variety of color in the Midwest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos, esp. the whales' tails. Here in Pennsylvania it was summer yesterday at 80 degrees; but today it's fall at 60 degrees.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.