Skip to main content

Boston

I had a doctor's appointment in Boston. (Aren't there any ENTs in VT?)

I had promised my granddaughter a shopping trip for her 17th birthday (which was in June) so a trip to Boston seemed like a good way to cash that one in.  We left on Sunday and stopped at the Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester before tucking in for the night.  Oh, yeah we had dinner at the Lobster Boat in Merrimack -- lobster rolls and French fires.  We like our lobster rolls Connecticut style, butter instead of mayo, and they accommodated.  It was a very good restaurant with everything tasting and smelling very fresh.

We spent the morning seeing a little bit of Boston.  Kristen did some more shopping and we had a lunch that spanned several of the food vendors at the Quincy Market.
Performer (who wanted $20 from each onlooker)

It was pretty gray, but the rain held off til later.


My doctor's appointment was supposed to be at 2:30, but the doctor was running late.  I was finished with  exams, scans, explanations and options around 5.  Woohoo!  Just in time for rush hour traffic and the heavy rains hitting.

I didn't get to my daughter's house until almost ten.  It took a good hour or more to get out of the greater Boston area and we did stop for gas and something to eat.  I decided to stay the night.  My grandson offered to sleep on the couch so I could sleep in his bed, but the couch was fine for me.  One of their cats plopped itself on top of me but it didn't disturb me.  I was out like a light in no time.
I think Kristen may have taken a second day off from school for recovery.  

It was still raining for my drive home (another hour and a half+) but daylight made it a lot easier.

So there were some glitches, but on the whole, a good trip.  I like Boston, but I am glad I don't live there.

Comments

  1. Thanks to several family weddings, I fairly recently spent some time in the area of your travels, and we loved it there. Getting north out of Boston is very difficult but once you break the bonds of the big city, it is wonderful exploring territory. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like, on the whole, a good trip, and fun to spend time with your granddaughter giving her a shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky granddaughter! She'll have wonderful memories of her day with you. I was in Boston last year on a cruise about this time, and it rained continuously. We visited Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market and I did a bit of a walk-about. Glad you made it home safely!

    Hope your appointment went well, even if it was delayed.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times with the Granddaughter but that drive was a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting out of Boston by car is one of my least favorite things in the world to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good trip ... it's great to visit Boston, esp. if you have some family there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all went well at the ENT's.
    Sounds like a nice time with the exception of rain and that drive.
    Glad to be home I'm certain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope after all that you got good results from the ENT. Quite a journey but the family helped to make it a pleasant one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My in-laws love Massachusetts and have no intention of moving back to Hawaii. I went there once in 1987 for 3 nights. It's Harvard and MIT that make it special, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boston is a great place to tour as an outsider. I loved much of the historical sights. Hope your app’t gave you results you needed. I read your other posts too and am happy about your poetry star. Oment and was a used that August is a drag for you. That I have never felt. All months fly in my little world.
    I leave UK for Canada, home next week and will hopefully post about our August.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel for you having to drive in the rain from the remnants of Gordon. We got 7 to 8 inches from that storm here is western Pa. That must have been a very miserable drive. But the rest of your trip sounded good and I bet Kristen had a blast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.