Skip to main content

Tiger Balm

I Googled Tiger Balm:

What is Tiger Balm? Menthol is either manmade or made from the extracts of mint oil. ... Tiger Balm (for the skin) is a combination medicine used to relieve minor muscle or joint pain. This medicine may also be used as a chest rub to soothe chest congestion and relieve cough caused by the flu or common cold.

Camphor 11%, Menthol 10%, Cajuput Oil 7%, Dementholised Mint Oil 6%, Clove Oil 5%. Dementholised Mint Oil 16%, Cajuput Oil 13%, Camphor 11%, Menthol 8%, Clove Oil 1.5%. Inactive ingredients: Hard paraffin, Yellow soft paraffin. Tiger Balm Red also contains: Cinnamon oil.

Sore throat and colds - There are a lot of symptoms you can experience when sick. By rubbing Tiger Balm on your chest and throat, you can help get rid of some of the issues you're experiencing. The product acts like vapor rub so it helps your nose while easing soreness.

It is kind of like Vick's VapoRub on steroids so I was not so far off to think it might be relieving.

HOWEVER, there can be side effects:

  • severe burning, stinging, or irritation after using this medicine; or
  • breathing problems after using this medicine on the chest or throat.
I have not experienced any of these side effects but I am not going to  recommend it  to those who have more sensitivities or allergies.

Like I said, I am not a doctor.

Comments

  1. I learned the long, hard way that I'm allergic to menthol/eucalyptus. Trees don't bother me too much, but any menthol products and I get asthma. Oddly enough, some asthma inhalers come with menthol IN them, so I must be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember see my first tiger balm decades ago while traveling in Asia. I could not read the ingredients, but thought at the time it was some extract from a tiger gland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it works for you. My Asian co-worker swore by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha, thanks for the follow up research! I've used Vick's since the days my mom slathered it on me as a kid. I'm gonna try some Tiger Balm to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you still experiencing the allergy symptoms?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve used it before on sore muscles. I probably would be careful with it for myself around my chest. I am very allergic to eucalyptus. Are you still suffering from your allergies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do pull out the vapor rub when the grand girls are coughing but I never think to use it for myself. I'll have to put it somewhere that I will see it fast when I am looking in the medicine chest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Tiger Balm but I've used Waltkin's Menthol Camphor rub for decades. It only has two ingredients: Camphor and Menthol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.