Skip to main content

More on Grandson's Visit

Lake Monsters

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12507037

Dane and I took in a baseball game.  The Lake Monsters are a minor league team that have their home games in Burlington.  There was a sold out stadium on Wednesday night when we went to see the game.  Unfortunately, out team lost (9 to 0), but for $5 admission and the price of a hotdog it's good entertainment.

Discussion about money

Dane asked me how i got money since I am retired and not going to work everyday.  I explained about the good old three-legged stool I learned about when I first started teaching -- paying social security, paying into the teacher retirement system, and personal saving and investment (simplified version).
"Will you run out of money then?"
"Not until I am 99 years old."  (Let's hope!)
"But then what will happen?  I really worry about this."

Ha! He did once tell me he planned to take care of me when he turned 57.  Since I will be 116 by then, does leave a bit of a gap. Perhaps I should worry too.

Mozart Festival at Shelburne Farms

We had a picnic lunch and relaxed at the beach at Lake Iroquois on Friday.  We'd had such a busy day meeting his second cousin the day before that floating around with a noodle was a perfect way to spend a hot day for me.  Dane was more active swimming around like a fish.

I had made a shepherd's pie to pop in the oven for our dinner which was a lucky thing since I saw a piece in the paper about kid's having free admittance to that night's Mozart Festival concert at Shelburne Farms.  The concert was in the Coach House.  We drove past the Farm Barn and the Inn on the way.  Dane pronounced it all very posh.  There was only one other kid there.  While he is more likely to listen to rap or some kind of electronic dance music, he was game for exposure to classical music and I enjoyed the concert immensely.

My phone battery died as I went to take pictures of this gorgeous spot, but you can check out the virtual tour by clicking the link above.

Rainbow clouds

I have managed to live my entire life without ever having even heard of rainbow clouds and I most likely would have missed them today as I was driving over the Lake Champlain Bridge if Dane had not spotted them and pointed them out to me.

We had to google this.  I of course was quite taken with the spiritual significance as described HERE. Dane was more inclined toward a scientific explanation.  In any event, seeing this was way cool.

Fort Ticonderoga

We had our final outing for this visit at Fort Ticonderoga.  There was a Revolutionary War re-enactment going on for the weekend so there really was a great deal to see.  Dane had been here on a school trip as a fourth grader but he really enjoyed seeing and talking to the re-enactors in their encampments after the battle.  As an educator, it does my heart good to see him engaged in learning new things.


Learning about washing clothes in colonial days.

An encampment of re-enactors

Return from the battle.



Officer quarters



After a lot of exploring the fort, we took the short ferry ride across Lake Champlain where Amy was waiting to pick him up and take him home.  His parting words: "I love you.  When can I visit you again?" So sweet.


Comments

  1. I believe Dane’s visit was a success if he left wanting to come back.

    It’s alarming to me when I read how many Americans have made no preparation for their retirement years. They’ve totally ignored the message of the three legged stool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet visit with a sweet grandson!
    Glad your three-legged stool is intact.
    We visited Fort Ticonderoga many years ago - great place for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun time! Wish my grandchildren didn’t live so far away but enjoy them when we do get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special grandchild. He and you seem to connect exactly as they do in the loving world. I am happy for you and also that he open to many new exeriences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great visit! My grandmothers were never such fun.
    I may have to visit....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best retirement/savings plan was marrying a man 16 years younger than me. LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice, pleasant visit. I am glad you exposed him to Mozart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I thought of you when we were at that concert!

      Delete
  8. What a cool kid and how nice to know he will be there when you reach 116. Has to be a comfort:)
    You two seem to have such a great relationship. Bet he is there for you before 116.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.