Skip to main content

Beach Time

I wanted to go for a walk on the beach this afternoon.  I parked my car and started to walk toward the water.  I also started coughing like crazy and then sneezing.  I am predicting that there will be a red tide warning in the next day or two.

The water was kind of murky anyway.

I checked the air quality report on the library web site and it was listed as good.  Well, I consider myself an early warning system for the presence of red tide.  As soon as I left the beach the coughing and sneezing stopped completely.

My friend Diane is coming for a visit on Friday.  I am very excited.  I found a good place to rent a bicycle, I have tickets for a concert, there is a Greek festival in Sarasota, an orchid show and a quilt show in Venice, restaurants to explore, and I do hope we will get some beach time.

Comments

  1. Have a great time with our friend. Sounds like a jam-packed and great fun time. and let us know if your premonition about the red tide is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am embarrassed to say I had to look up the definition of red tide. I read that many manatees are killed each year by it. It's hard not to love a manatee so I'm sorry to learn some may die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your warning system was wrong this time.
    It sounds like you are Diane are going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I do remember those red tides. Cough cough. However when the dead fish wash up, I use to brave the smell to troll the beach for the array of specimens was incredible to a marine biologist wanna be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your time with your friend! Party on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun to have a friend visiting. It sounds like you gals will be busy. I had no idea you are an allergy barometer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always love learning something new from my blog friends. It was interesting to research red tides and learn of algae bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least you don't have the flu. Lol. What you have planned sounds exciting. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have a wonderful visit planned! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to look up red tide also. Seems you were right as there were several articles about its appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so interesting. So you must have some sort of allergy to the pollen(?) from the algae.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

It's TIme

 It's been a while since I have posted anything and even my reading your posts is falling by the wayside. I am in Florida now. I have a yard where little attention was spent on landscaping for the past years so I am slowly and (somewhat) methodically addressing that. I also volunteer to work at the pollinator garden and the edible garden I helped install at the UU grounds and I took over the volunteer job of cleaning out the overgrown community garden by my neighborhood mailboxes. The neighbor who was doing that got sick and could no longer attend to it. It's a bigger job than I'd thought at first -- not only overgrown with weeds, but the plants that are wanted there are in life and death competition for each others' spaces. And two walks a day, morning and evening, so Levi can keep up with addiction to canine social media and a daily rousing came of stick or ball midday take up another chunk of my time. I have a weekly meditation group that I co-facilitate, and my own ...

Life Goes On

There is nothing like a visit from the grand children to remind one that life goes on.  I spent Friday night at my daughter's and then brought the kids back home with me.  I did not get to see so much of them this past summer and it was a birthday gift to my daughter (who just turned 40!) to have a couple of days to herself. She probably spent them in her son's room playing Lego StarWars.  Dane tried to teach me how to play this video game--a hopeless task if ever there was one.  "Concentrate, Grandma!  You have to concentrate!"  I do have a hard time with sustained concentration lately, but in this case I had no clue what it was that needed concentration.  He finally took the controls away from me (thank-you!). It's amazing how long he can amuse himself at my house being out side on a scooter or helping me in the yard, especially if it involves a hose.  Inside, they both sit and draw or craft for hours.  Just before bed, Dane did say, "N...

A Death in the Family

My brother-in-law, Mike's brother passed away on Saturday.  We will once again head off to Connecticut for the funeral.  Bill was a year younger than Mike.  The cancerous tumor they thought that they could remove turned out to be system wide cancer and he was to be released from the hospital to go into hospice.  The doctor's gave him six months to a year, but Bill, ever the practical one decided not to go through all that bother.  We are very sad.