Skip to main content

Grandson's Weekend Visit

My daughter met me with the two kids on Friday night in Middlebury--a half way point between our houses.  I took them all out for pizza and then just Dane and I made the trip back to Jericho.

My grand daughter, twelve now and in the seventh grade, has decided it is more important to be at the school dance in the presence of cute boys than to spend time with her old granny!

Dane was happy to have my undivided attention for the weekend though. Thinking of a post that GigiHawaii wrote a couple of weeks ago, I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up.  His answer: designer of computer games.

He has not given up on teaching me how to play a game either.

He is quite the little mathematician.  "Grandma, you are 30 plus 35.  My mom is 40 so you were...um...25 when she was born."  "I have $202 dollars.  That is 20,200 cents.  Do you still have 30 dollars?  How much cents is that?"  When I said 300, oh wait, that's not right, he said "No it isn't right because that would only be 3 dollars and you have thirty so you have 3000 cents."  I am trusting him on all these calculations because he does not get this interest in math from anyone on his mother's side of the family.

He wanted to go to the holiday fair on Saturday to get some Christmas decorations for his tree.  He was concerned that I am not planning to put up a tree this year and he kept pointing out decorations that would look good on my tree, should I change my mind.  We also went to the Christmas Tree Shop so I could pick up a few things.  He does love decorations.

At home, we made a gingerbread house and some Christmas candy.


 He did not take the gingerbread house home because he insisted that I needed some decoration.  He helped me put up two wreaths, one on the door and one with twinkle lights in the front window.

He was a bit distressed by my lack of cable television kids' programs, but we did make up a bowl of popcorn and watch the first Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.  Look at his cheeks.  How could I refuse him the chipmunk movie?

On Sunday, we made peppermint bark.  His job was to smash the candy canes and sprinkle the crumbs on top.  Then we went for a walk while I told him stories of "The Adventures of Dane."  He did not seem to notice that it was really cold out.  We were still running around and playing in the back yard when his mom and sister came to take him to his grandfather's for dinner.  I hope that they all appreciated the fact that I had burned up a bit of his incredible energy and also worked up his appetite.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It was and he does not get too much one-on-one attention being #2. He is a real lovey.

      Delete
  2. I am not looking forward to the time the grandkids (think they) have better things to do than spend time with Grandma and Grandpa. Enjoy while they love spending time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you and your grandson and a great time this weekend. I just can't imagine your granddaughter turning down ginger bread houses to go to a dance with boys. Her loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me tell you, she was over the moon about the dance (Sat. afternoon).
      The boy who likes her did not show up, but the boy she likes did. And he talked to her!! Be still my beating heart! The drama of middle school. I have had enough of that to fill more than one lifetime!

      Delete
  4. My goodness, what fun you both had. I looove my grandkids, too. They are at the age when what they say is just incredibly cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for the link to my blog!

      Delete
    2. BTW, he did not know the smartest kid in his class, but he did easily identify the richest.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you have a real whiz kid on your hands. If only I could learn all the things my grands try to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grand daughter and daughter laugh at my efforts, ineffective as they are, but grand son is determined that I can learn. He will be the one to follow in my educator footsteps.

      Delete
  6. Don't you just love spending time with the grands? I can't wait to have my little guy again! Glad you had such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I wish that they lived a little closer.

      Delete
  7. Dane is such a cutie! Those cheeks! He did a wonderful job on the gingerbread house. Sounds like a wonderful visit. And now you are decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is growing up so fast. My daughter has already had to replace his school clothes since he outgrew everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it will happen all to soon. Amara will ditch me for boys. It is wonderful that you and Dane got a whole weekend just the 2 of you and I love that he is trying to encourage your Christmas spirit! Amara made a similar gingerbread house for the center of our table a few years ago. I hated throwing it out -- his is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful little guy, and smart too!!. Too bad granddaughter ditched you!!! They do grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I envy your grandson's facility with math.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were both blessed with a wonderful weekend. Loved all the activities. I too hope that the grandfather on the receiving end appreciated the expended energy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dane is so cute. He did some great holiday activities with his gran. We had a weekend of our grandkids, too. I took the 2 girls to the Nutcracker and Bob took the 3 boys to Frozen - then, we met downtown for dinner. They slept overnight. After returning them Sunday morning, the silence was deafening! So cold here in CO - I'm thinking you're ready for the warmth of FL. (Maybe I am, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful memory you've helped Dane make! I know both my children recall special time they spent with their grandparents and I'm always grateful they had the opportunity. I bet he'll tell his grandchildren about it someday!

    I think it's sweet he was so concerned your home wasn't decorated. He's obviously sensitive as well as smart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only imagine the fun and joy of grandkids and I hope I live tonexperience it!
    Your lad seems like a rare gem:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Dane is a very skilled mathematician. You have to be so proud of him. I am utterly impressed! And he already knows he wants to design computer games. Extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.