Skip to main content

Food for Thought

This article from Everyday Health lists five foods to avoid if one suffers from Bi-Polar Disorder:
Caffeine
Alcohol
Sugar
Salt
Fat
They are all likely to impact mood swings according to this report.

Well, thank goodness I do not have that disorder.  If I had to give up those things, my mood would be pretty stable, though--dark, dreary and miserable, but stable that way.

I can say that I am most grateful that I have few restriction on my daily diet.

I am also grateful that I can afford (at least for now) to eat a variety of foods.  According to an Associated Press article in our newspaper this morning:

"People who spend the most on food get the closest meeting federal guidelines for potassium, dietary fiber, Vitamin D and calcium...Those who spend the least have the lowest intakes of the four recommended nutrients and the highest consumption of saturated fat and added sugar."
The point being made was that too many people cannot afford to follow the new U.S. nutritional guidelines as advertised by a plate of salmon, leafy green vegetable, and rice pilaf.

I guess that has to mean wild caught Alaskan salmon, organic kale, and some exotic blend of rice and spices.

Because I don't really believe most people can't have a fairly balanced and nutritious diet on a reasonable budget.

I mean, there an awful lot of high-priced junk food and processed foods to be had in any American supermarket--even the "health food" places.  It's not just about money.  Time, traditions, values, choices, motivation, and good old appetite all enter into it.

I got my book, A Homemade Life, today and I have already read a third of the way through.  In case any one is wondering why I seem a bit food obsessed today.

Speaking of...supper last night was rustic olive and roasted red pepper pizza done on the grill.  The topping was a chopped mix of black olives, garlic, a couple of anchovies (seriously), and roasted red pepper topped with mozzarella cheese.  I'm not Italian, but sometimes I play one in the comfort of my own kitchen.

Comments

  1. True I don't buy salmon but I eat Kale a bunch and it is really cheap. I agree that one main reason not to eat well is the time it takes. It does take a bit longer to prepare. But then if we get to live longer, that balances out.
    Arkansas Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I could eat in your kitchen. That pizza sounds better than wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercising and eating healthy is the secret for a long healthy life.
    Thank you for this great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's much easier to avoid Bad Food in the summer when a snack can be a cucumber or tomato fresh off the plant. Quick, easy, healthful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have a diet which is almost fat and salt free after his emergency quadruple bypass in 2008. He was thin, exercised and had passed a treadmill test. Shortly after retiring in 2009, I was diagnosed with breast cancer - so no soy products for me. We have eliminated all red meat and it is truly a challenge to cook. We rarely eat out because there is so much sodium in restaurant food. I have learned to alter many recipes and we have some wonderful, flavorful, guiltless meals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you are enjoying the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could drop by for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just a good thing I don't suffer from bi-polar disorder. That's a list of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.