Skip to main content

For Sale?

My little portable garden had to come inside Wednesday and Thursday nights.  After Mike talked to a friend who lives near Boston, we can only be thankful we are able to have a garden this time of year!

We took a ride down to Naples on Wednesday and visited our land at the eastern edge of Golden Gate Estates.  It is still there--a massively overgrown patch in what is now a fairly well developed neighborhood with paved streets and electricity and everything.  When we bought the land years ago, there were only two or three houses there.  Even now, to go just a half mile further east is to be in acres and acres of orange groves and tomato farms.  Most of the houses are built within the last five years--although I'm pretty sure no new houses were put in in the last three years.  The house on property right next to ours, however, has been there for over twenty years.  The family that owns it built way, way out in the wilderness at the time.  There were no paved roads, no electricity, no nearby grocery stores or schools, no cable.  So I am pretty sure that there is one family in the neighborhood that is not completely distressed by our wild patch.

On paper, we have made and lost a couple hundred thousand on that land.  We bought the land for relatively little money; it went way up in value;  now it has dropped back down nearly to what we paid.  We thought we were well set for retirement with our wise investments and our land holdings.  Of course, right when we thought we could start using the interest, the market did a belly up.  Still, it is kind of true that you don't miss what you never had.  But, hey, anybody looking for 2.7 acres of southern Florida swampland OR ten acres of northern Vermont swampland, I mean woodland, call me.  We'll talk!

Comments

  1. The good thing is that you only lost on paper and still have your original investment. If it were zoned for RV's, I'd put some RV pads plus elec,water and sewer and rent it out for a steady income till the market recovers.
    Good luck and hang in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny post! I guess the problem all of us face (those of us in our reclining years) is we may not live long enough to see any money from our investments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying. My son, a banker, says, "Ma, you can't lose what you never really had," when I talk about declining value of investments. I understand what he is saying, but on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.