Skip to main content

Footwear


I read recently that the expensive walking shoes actually are hard on the knees.  This gave a slight bit of vindication.  I do have walking shoes that I wear out on a regular basis.  I have always hated spending the money for somethng that just does not last very long.
Part of the problem, perhaps, is the shape of my feet.  With narrow heels and wide forefoot (Hm, sound duck-like), something is always rubbing or pinching.  Holes wear into the shoes OR (worse) into my feet.  In either case, out those shoes have to go.
However, a couple of years ago, I bought these Speedo brand flip flops.  They are by far the most comfortable things I have ever had on my feet except warm, cozy socks.  And I can wear them while walking, even a brisk exercise walk, if the weather permits bare toes.  They cling to my feet--no rubbing, no pinching.  There is enough cushion on the bottom and a quick swish in sudsy water and a rinse off keep them fairly clean. 
The problem is that I have worn them so consistently that they are starting to fall apart.  I can't quite bring myself to throw them out.  At least not until I find another pair that are just as comfy.
These "toner" style sandals are not too bad, but they do take an adjustment.  I get a pain running up the nerves in my right foot when I first wear them after a long break.  They do have the high set strap that I like, but I do have to say that they have not reshaped the butt in quite the way the ads on TV would have you believe.  True, the ads on TV feature twenty-somethings. 
Aging is all about adjusting expectations.

Comments

  1. Oh my, shoes, my life's tale of woe. I don't have a choice but to wear expensive shoes. Size 12 AAAA does not come in cheaper shoes. I hate it when it's shoe shopping time. Good luck in finding your next pair of much loved shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for the perfect pair of shoes. I am jealous that you are wearing sandals and calling them shoes. We are in boots and worm socks here. I hope you can adjust to you new "shoes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried to wear flip flops like those, but the leather strap between my toes drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at an age and level of disrepair that comfortable shoes are something I won't do without. The problem is that it takes years for them to become comfortable enough for me. The young girls I work with are always saying they are going to take me shoe shopping. They'd have to hogtie me first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could wear flip flops but I can't get my orthodics to stay in. Maybe velcro??
    Enjoy now for when the feet go, glamour also goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. L--My maternal grandmother had long, narrow feet (which I did not inherit) and shoe shopping with her was hell--except that she would sometimes buy me a totally inappropriate pair of shoes that my mother would never have.
    RET--Ah, the eternal quest--perfect shoes!
    b--yeah, it takes a bit of getting used to.
    mm--comfortable, yes; old, not so much for me. Although I must say there are many shoes that I still mourn for their passing.
    AK--believe me, I am grateful for feet that give me very little pain and aggravation for as long as it lasts. But glamour? HA! Did you not see the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the last line of this post. How true. I have very narrow feet and I cannot stand the thing between the toes. Like so many I like to hang on to comfort of a shoe that fits as long as possible. No vanity in that right??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flip Flops in the middle of January?

    They look comfortable and if you say they are I'll gladly believe you.
    But if I wore them now outdoors my feet would fall off with the great clatter of two frozen lumps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.