Skip to main content

Frosty Morning

It was here this morning--a covering of frost on the car and the lawn.  Now we know it is really autumn. 

I took a ride to my daughter's yesterday.  She was busy preparing and painting the floor in Kristen's new bedroom.  My son-in-law had put the windows in and was working on siding the house exterior.  So it was play time for grandma and the kids and we were off and running for the day--plenty of silliness and fresh air.  I slept really soundly last night.  I probably wasn't the only one.  Great to have fun and feel useful at the same time.

Today was spent doing some "put the gardens to bed" chores.  It's a process, a work in progress.  The garden I can most easily see from the house is still ablaze with marigolds and phlox so I can hang onto that summertime feeling a bit longer even as I put the sandals in storage boxes (ready to load into the car for the trip to Florida in January) and pull out the thick socks.

Speaking of socks and shoes--Mike went out to buy himself a new pair of walking shoes--maintaining his collection of footwear to three pair of shoes, two pair of sandals, and a pair of winter boots.  Oh, and a pair of L.L. Bean leather moccasins.  Maybe he still has his motorcycle boots hanging around somewhere, I  don't know.  His new shoes are pretty much identical to the pair he threw out, except they are not yet cracked across the toe boxes, worn through by the big toes, and flapping the soles with each step.  Really needing new shoes--not a concept I can wrap my head around.  Needing because I just want them--because that's such a pretty color or that's such a soft leather--that's my modus operendi.  It's good that we are each so accepting of the others foibles.

Comments

  1. Your report of fall approaching does my heart good. Still I do not understand wanting to visit Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning to foresee the seasons with you, Olga. You write so beautifully about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing for the shoe industry that women are out there keeping it afloat. Men would drive them right out of business.
    Glad you still have some garden hanger ons.
    We hit the mid thirties for the first time this AM.
    Florida in January is a good thought. By then, the fun of being house bound and the beauty of bitter cold are wearing thin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frost! Not here yet but today is rainy and very cool...52F. I want a longer faaalll!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.