Skip to main content

One of our neighbors lost a tree in last week's storm. He asked to borrow Mike's chain saw so he could cut into firewood. I think that Mike used that chain saw maybe once. I think he may have been slightly peeved when I hired a man to chain saw down some lilac old growth a couple of years ago, but, really, I've grown accustomed to his having all his fingers. Chain saws scare the bejeesus out of me.

Anyway, the saw has been sitting in the garage for years. They started it up on Monday morning, but it just would not keep running. Mike took it to a small engine repair place where the guy thought maybe a new carburetor for 80 bucks plus whatever labor OR it was not fixable and should be thrown away. Not about to gamble 80 bucks on possible garbage, Mike brought the chain saw home and took it apart himself. He discovered the fuel line was so old and hardened that it just cracked under the slightest pressure. He put a new fuel line in...no where near as easy as it may sound, since it took him the better part of Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning and involved jerry-rigging attachment parts out of a ball point pen. Now it runs. I am impressed by his ingenuity.

Still, chain saws really are scary, dangerous things. I will be nervous until our neighbor brings it back and it is once again rusting in the garage from lack of use.

Comments

  1. Yes chain saws are dangerous but so are roto-ruters you run when your drain is stopped up. I have a family member who lost a finger when he tangled with one of those. I don't like a lot of the machinary that's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to learn to use one thanks to all the hurricanes in Florida. Never have I been comfortable around one.The damage they can do in an instant is scary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.