Skip to main content

One Year, 200 Posts

It was a year ago that I posted my first blog and I managed to blather on about 200 other topics since then. Today, I feel extremely lazy...OR...I'm celebrating, yeah,yeah, I'm celebrating by reposting my very first blog entry:

SATIN SHEETS

Our Florida rental came with a set of satin sheets. Now sheets are a wonderful thing in life. I happen to like to snuggle into smooth, soft, clean sheets. New cotton, high quality, sheets are wonderful, but those sheets washed and washed to a silky smoothness--ahh. Maybe I still miss my silk baby blanket. But I’m getting off the point, which is those satin sheets.I went to ASK.com and asked, “Why satin sheets?” In reply, I found Ann’s Satin Sheet Guide, http://ann'ssatinsheetguide.com, to wit:
What is so great about Satin Sheets?It's the Look and Feel. For most people,
satin sheets are great for two reasons: Smoothness. Smoothness comes from
the small size and tight weaving of the fibers. The tighter the weave, the
smoother the surface - often described using a term called "thread-count." In
order to pack so many threads in a small space, the threads must be very thin.
Imagine how rough a sheet made of button thread would be! Man-made fibers like
polyester, nylon, and acetate can be made very fine, which makes them perfect
for high-thread-count fabrics. Shininess. Shininess comes from the
type of thread. Very few natural fibers are shiny; so usually you must use a
man-made fiber like polyester, nylon, or acetate to get a shiny surface. In
fact, you've probably seen sheets described as "Sateen." These are usually
cotton sheets with very high thread counts (over 300 per inch) that feel as
smooth as normal satin sheets, but since they are made of cotton, they are not
shiny. So they really aren't satin as the world typically views it.

But, of course, smooth and shiny have to be code for “SEXY.” I assume all the advertising references to “bridal quality” satin sheets are meant to evoke tingly anticipation of one’s honeymoon--or in my case, found memories thereof. I have to mention that the usual sheets at this house are a cotton-modal blend, which do have a smooth feel but my husband finds these “too slippery.” Sexy is not a word he was likely to apply to satin sheets. A satin sheeted bed,--just not a bed he is going to climb into. Open to new experiences?--not that much. We don’t mind having our own beds, though, so I decided to try out those satin sheets myself. Into the second bedroom I march armed with satin sheets and the determination to remain (in my 60’s and beyond) willing, even eager, to try new and different things. The fitted bottom sheet smoothed right over the mattress. I’m thinking I’ll wake up with unmussed hair. I remember seeing an ad for satin pillow cases making that a feature. I’m thinking I’ll sleep the sleep of child clutching her treasured silky (my many sleep problems being the reason we often end up in separate beds). I snap open the top sheet and glide it effortlessly over the bed. It slid, just as effortlessly, right off the bed to the floor--the entire sheet--to the floor. Okay, obviously a bit too much snap. One has to go gentle with satin sheets, slide it the top carefully up and -- whoops. Okay, maybe start from the head and work to the foot of the bed -- whoops -- but almost! Okay, third time is the charm. Next, the comforter -- acck -- slides to the floor and the top sheet crumbles half way down the bed. Okay, okay, okay, even three attempts isn’t doing it this time. “Mike, can you come hold the sheets down while I finish making the bed??” Turns out it is possible to make up a bed with satin sheets, but it takes two people at a minimum. Four people would have certainly been better, but why bother the neighbors for something like that.
Bed time comes. I slip into the bed and the satin is cool and soft on my skin. It feels kind of good, kind of sexy. I wiggle then stretch luxuriously. Fortunately, it’s a warm night. The comforter slides to the floor. The top sheets does stay tucked under my chin, but the pillows skid across the mattress slowly--just like the racing rocks in Death Valley. I wake up with a case of bedhead and high humidity-Florida hair. I strip the bed, wash the satin sheets, and put them away--neatly folded of course, but that being a whole story in itself. New experiences keep you young. When the grand kids come, I’ll pull the mattress to the floor, cover it with satin sheets, dress them in satin pajamas, surround the room with every pillow in the house, and let them play pretend waterslide.

Comments

  1. Wow....my very first blog entry was also about satin sheets! Small world. http://oklhdan-musingsamiddleagedwoman.blogspot.com/2008/02/satin-sheets.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! A year of blogging is an accomplishment worthy of satin sheets indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first year!

    I have never had satin sheets, but I used to have a satin pillowcase that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogaversary. The first year really goes fast doesn't it?
    Loved the satin sheet attempt. Been there and done that. Now I am content with satin pillow cases but somehow still wake up with bed hair. Think sleeping sitting up is the only answer for that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.