Skip to main content

Preserving the Harvest


The yellow concoction in this jar is the yellow zest of a dozen lemons and about a liter and a half of vodka. In a week or so it will be made into limoncello per the recipe in my Coastal Living Cookbook--which has beautiful pictures and many wonderful seafood recipes.
Today I harvested all the basil still left in the garden and ended up with maybe a cup of basil pesto. I love it on pasta, on chicken, on pizza, and on salmon sandwiches. Mm...hungry.
I froze a mess of parsley pesto that I made with pecans. Still, parsley keeps growing and growing in the garden. Honestly, I've used it in floral arrangements, as a plate garnish, in herbal butters, but I just can't use it up. Have to say, though, I'm thankful something grew. The green bean and tomato harvests were pretty sad.
What was excellent, though late this year, was the corn crop down at the Conant's Farm (www.conantscorn.com). They have the best sweet corn--absolutely THE best. Mike's birthday (9/9) dinner this year was king crab legs and sweet corn from Conant's Farm. Buttery good. Birthday celebrations negate any cholesterol concerns, right? We get to have leftovers tonight. poor us.
So, unfortunately for my mandated/doctor prescribed diet, most of the preservation of the summer harvest is through calorie consumption and conversion to fat. Scout's honor, though, I've really bumped up the exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's TIme

 It's been a while since I have posted anything and even my reading your posts is falling by the wayside. I am in Florida now. I have a yard where little attention was spent on landscaping for the past years so I am slowly and (somewhat) methodically addressing that. I also volunteer to work at the pollinator garden and the edible garden I helped install at the UU grounds and I took over the volunteer job of cleaning out the overgrown community garden by my neighborhood mailboxes. The neighbor who was doing that got sick and could no longer attend to it. It's a bigger job than I'd thought at first -- not only overgrown with weeds, but the plants that are wanted there are in life and death competition for each others' spaces. And two walks a day, morning and evening, so Levi can keep up with addiction to canine social media and a daily rousing came of stick or ball midday take up another chunk of my time. I have a weekly meditation group that I co-facilitate, and my own ...

Life Goes On

There is nothing like a visit from the grand children to remind one that life goes on.  I spent Friday night at my daughter's and then brought the kids back home with me.  I did not get to see so much of them this past summer and it was a birthday gift to my daughter (who just turned 40!) to have a couple of days to herself. She probably spent them in her son's room playing Lego StarWars.  Dane tried to teach me how to play this video game--a hopeless task if ever there was one.  "Concentrate, Grandma!  You have to concentrate!"  I do have a hard time with sustained concentration lately, but in this case I had no clue what it was that needed concentration.  He finally took the controls away from me (thank-you!). It's amazing how long he can amuse himself at my house being out side on a scooter or helping me in the yard, especially if it involves a hose.  Inside, they both sit and draw or craft for hours.  Just before bed, Dane did say, "N...

A Death in the Family

My brother-in-law, Mike's brother passed away on Saturday.  We will once again head off to Connecticut for the funeral.  Bill was a year younger than Mike.  The cancerous tumor they thought that they could remove turned out to be system wide cancer and he was to be released from the hospital to go into hospice.  The doctor's gave him six months to a year, but Bill, ever the practical one decided not to go through all that bother.  We are very sad.