Skip to main content

Summer Vacation

So many kids are heading back to school already, but my grandchildren are enjoying two weeks vacation on the Florida beaches.




The water temperature is about body temperature...no inching myself in like in the lake.  And the kids, especially Dane, are in the water like a flash but it seems it is the wet that lures them, not the temperature.  Warm or cool, water is water.

We went to the North Jetty Beach in Nokomis after dinner at a seafood restaurant the other night.  The children ordered a hamburger and chicken fingers, which kind of defeated the purpose (but I keep trying, without success to expand their palates, so that means I am insane).  It was too early
 for the sunset -- seniors and children go for the early bird specials.

But I did get a photo of the sunset when we got home.

Thunderstorms happen most evenings.

We went back for swimming the next day and we saw a mama manatee with a calf!  They came very close to the shore where we were swimming.  What a treat that was!

Saturday was more rainy than not.  We skipped the beach and went to the Big Cat Habitat in Sarasota.
My grandchildren are major cat lovers.  It was really very interesting to see just how "cat like" behavior really is across species.

There were other animals as well.  We saw bears, alligators, monkeys, koi fish, lemurs, parrots, lions, tigers, a bob cat, a Florida panther, llamas, goats, and chickens.  

Liger, lion and tiger mix, named Mia.



I have to say this was an educational experience because Dane got on the computer as soon as we got home to do research on endangered species.  His questions are endless.

But I LOVE Google.  "How old would Leonardo DaVinci be ifs he was still alive?" Well Google the year of his birth and subtract that from 2016 and you can figure that out. 

Google it  has become my go-to response.

We went to Siesta Key.  The sign says it is the #1 beach in the USA.  I forgot to take a picture but the sand is white and powdery.  Kristen bought a shirt so I guess that will have to be the proof that we have been there.  Being #1 means that the rest of the visiting population is there so it is a "did that once" kind of thing.  There are some advantages to an off-season visit.


Comments

  1. Sounds like you all are having a great time. Lovely photos. I love the one of the turtle. Google it is a great response for those questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun with the grandies, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to 'hook up' with you again, Olga!

    Aren't grandkids GRAND? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My granddaughter has already been in school for a week. I sure hope it's cooling off in Illinois. I've never seen a manatee before. From what I see it's hard to imagine they were mistaken for mermaids at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like your summer is filled with joyful times with your grandkids. I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.