Wow. Yesterday was a stormy day! Lightning and thunder storms rolling through right on through the night. So I guess it was kind of a good thing since I was not wishing I was at the beach or out on my bike while I was cleaning and packing.
We are just about ready for an early departure tomorrow morning (Saturday). We are getting tired of the long drive and have been talking about getting a small car to leave down here. Of course we are not crazy about air flights these days, but at least it is over within one day...usually.
I am anxious to get back to see the grand kids. The librarian where I volunteer has already asked me to come in on Tuesday. I doubt that will happen since we won't be home until Monday afternoon, but it is nice to have something that makes me feel useful.
I will miss our Florida life style though. Life seems simpler here. Among the things I will miss (in no particular order):
1. Sunshine. In spite of the fact that we call it the Sunshine State, Florida is actually not the sunniest place in the country. However, it has VT's average number of sunny days beat by miles.
2. The evenness of daylight hours. I like that daylight varies only from ten to fourteen hours, if that.
In VT, we will be heading into those days of 18 hours of sunlight. Frankly, the sun coming up at 4:30 a.m. is a waste of sunshine, pure and simple.
3. Our friends on the beach and in the park. On the other hand, there will be friends and family at home.
4. The proximity to the stores, restaurants, recreation. Everything I like within walking distance or a short ride.
a. Hot take out pizza.
b. Fresh bagels on Saturday mornings.
5. Flat bike paths and miles of them.
6. Lemons. Yes, I can buy lemons in VT but they are not as juicy.
7. Palm trees and blooming plants.
8. No need to put on socks.
9. Colors, so many colors.
10. The hair salon.
11. Honestly, the high toilets. I know from experience that I will hurt myself the first time I use the low toilet at home.
12. The Italian deli