- As of now, there is no new pope selected. I see that there is an American under consideration, No woman, though.
- Twinkies may be coming back. The recipe was sold for "a pittance." How disappointing...only 410 million dollars.
- The red tide outbreak has continued to plague this corner of the world. I watched a news segment that was billed as "efforts to save the manatees". They are sucumbing to the red tide toxin at a record breaking number. The scientist interviewed sated something to the effect of "we need to save them so future generations can enjoy manatees as we do." How? Didn't say, but there is a HotLine number to call. What is it? Didn't say. Poor manatees deserve better.
- There was a man killed in a Florida sinkhole in February. An Illinois golfer fell into a sinkhole on a golf course earlier this month. Now there is a report of a sinkhole in Washington, D.C. (Look for the jokes on social media and late night TV. They are too much of a cheap shot for here.)
Why all the sinkholes lately? Apparently Florida, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania are the most prone spots because of the limestone soils that are subject to dissolving.
- It is top secret, but word has leaked that the Russian military has a program that trains attack dolphins. The dolphins are trained to detect mines and even attack enemy swimmers. The problem is that the dophins wander off -- go AWOL-- during mating season. It is so hard to get good help these days.
- Finally, Elizabeth Delaney of Sarasota, Florida, celebrated her birthday number 110. She loves sweets and avoids most vegetables but is very outgoing and has a great social network at the Friendship Center. I love this quote from her perseptions of the many "old" people there:
"I find that a lot of people at the center, they've lost their memory and they don't know where they are and things like that. I think they're too young for that," she said.
"And the men and the women, they go to the bathroom so often," she added. "I wonder why that happens."
God bless her.