Skip to main content

Sunday Sojourn

 
There was a fine art show at the Venice Art Center this weekend.  I am always in awe of artists, especially painters.  The selection at the show included oil. pastels, watercolors, acrylics, mixed media, pottery, photography, and jewelry.

I did not linger over the jewelry.  It was beautiful, but I seldom wear jewelry and so I already own more than I really need.  

But, oh, my, there were some breathtaking works on exhibit.  Photographing was not allowed.  I was not feeling very wealthy, but I did get myself some prints.





The matted print was done by a woman on my street who was a crafter for years but then took watercolor painting lessons after a bout of cancer.  Her work is lovely, so filled with spirit.  I plan to take that one home with me.

The beach chair, done by another artist, will go over my computer desk in the Florida house.  The same woman did the wedding pavilion, located at the Bay Preserve in Osprey.  I had taken a picture of that the previous week when I was scouting around.

I also bought this ceramic fish.  I plan to hang it in the kitchen.

 
 
As you can see, I kind of go for the fish motif here at the Florida house.  Here they are swimming on the wall of the lanai.
 
 And here they are in the little cupboard on the lanai.




And on the table.
I had a great day!

Comments

  1. YOu are turning into a Floridian. Reminds me of the home of my in-laws. Always the soft colors and the sea themes. Fine art shows are always and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your choices! Glad you had a great day!
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm! That third painting down looks a little familiar:

    http://www.jssgallery.org/paintings/El_Jaleo.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see wat you mean. Very similar indeed.

      Delete
  4. You really got some nice work. I really like that beach chair one. Brings back memories of basting on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the things you picked out. I need you to come and help get my house decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm back from my blogging break. Check my post for today, you'll find it interesting.

    I do believe you are a Florida girl. Do you have times you long for Vermont in the way you long for Florida?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really--although I do miss my friends and family. If I could get them all down here, I would be quite happy!

      So good to hear from you. I have been thinking about you lately. That article was something else.

      Delete
  7. Good for you for buying art, supporting local artists, and having fun decorating your Florida house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.