Skip to main content

RED TIDE


We went to the beach on our first day here in Venice, but I have not been back since then. I started coughing right away, as soon as my feet hit the sand, and I knew that red tide was the culprit. I was right. According to the paper, this has been the largest outbreak of red tide since 2007. The bloom is affecting a hundred miles of west Florida coastline and killing thousands of fish. Seven tons of dead fish have been cleared off area beaches in the past two days.   Mike went for a look.   Caspersen Beach is a designated rural beach and they tend to leave it to the forces of nature a bit more than the better known and more ‘civilized’ beaches like Venice Beach and Nokomis Beach. North of us in Sarasota, the beach on Siesta Key, is just out of the range of this red tide bloom. I expect the turkey buzzards will be taking over Caspersen in a few weeks.   From today’s Herald Tribune:
"It is a pretty big red tide bloom. If we look at the linear distance along the coast, we're looking at nearly 100 miles," said Alina Corcoran, a research scientist in charge of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Service's harmful algal bloom program. "It doesn't look like it's going away any time soon." Florida red tide blooms are caused by single cell algae called Karenia brevis. The algae occur naturally at very low levels, usually about 30 miles offshore. Often during the fall, ocean currents transport the red tide to the coast and if conditions are right, the cells proliferate into a toxic bloom. Scientists are still unsure about what causes the blooms. Corcoran said they usually originate about 30 to 40 miles offshore and occasionally get drawn toward the coast by ocean and wind currents. Once the algae reach the coastline they will feast on any nutrient source available, such as the nitrogen and phosphorus found in fertilizers.

  Besides the stench of dead fish, the toxins in the air cause breathing problems for people and animals. Those with respiratory problems are warned to stay away from the beaches. You won’t have to tell me twice. I won’t be returning to Vermont with my usual bag of shells, but I have been enjoying our park pool.   WARNING:  The following are not pretty. DSCN2117 Can you imagine walking on this beach?

DSCN2119


DSCN2118
Can you see the teeth on this moray eel?  These things are in the water.  I have decided I really like the clean, clear water of the pool.










Comments

  1. Oh, ick. I'd choose the pool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Is this phenomenon common only in the south or on the gulf? I've heard of our NJ shores having a fish kill on very rare occasions, but nothing like what you describe. A chlorinated pool definitely sounds better!
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck - not a pretty picture. I'd stay away too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red tides are larger and worse due to pollution. Once the oxygen levels drop the red algae takes off. I have been in Florida during these blooms and do not linger near, as these toxins are really nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too sad. besides the ocean currents I think that nitrogen levels are increasing in the ocean waters because of too much carBon dioxide. It has been suggested that our oceans are becoming too acidic from this issue.
    Sad how what we have created fo our better way of life is killing all things around us:(
    Glad to learn the pool gives you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How disappointing, but I'm with you, a pool is a lovely alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for documenting this issue. I'm sorry for your allergies. They are terrible. Two of my 3 adult children are allergic to cats. When they visit, we give them allergy pills. So crazy!
    Thanks for visiting my tours! We have been having great day trips. WIth my health issues, they are the way to go for us!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yuck! Stay away it sounds dangerous!! Sorry about the shells, and that you can't walk along the beach. How long does this last? I always tell our friends who want me to go swimming in their lake; "I will go in, once you concrete it and paint it an aqua blue!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember going to Bradenton beach a number of years ago (in the late 1990s) and coming face to face with a red tide. It was pretty bad. I think it's one of those naturally occurring phenomena that appear every once in a while, but no doubt pollution and warmer waters make it worse.

    May it go away soon, and leave you with those beautiful pristine beaches once again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. i had no idea red tides were that destructive. We have red tide shell fish warnings - don't eat them, they are toxic- but not large scale kills or breathing issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I've never even heard of red tide, or, if I did, I didn't pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think California had a real problem with it last year. It is supposedly beautiful at night in that it turns the water a bright blue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.