Skip to main content

Safe Trip

 

We had an uneventful trip south.  The traffic was light and the weather was good.  Still, it was a long trip and it is good to be at our Florida home.

After a good night’s sleep we took a walk on the beach and found it pretty chewed up from recent storms.  On the other hand, our lawn looks great—lush and green.  I did a bit of garden work, planting a small area and cleaning away some errant branches.  We will need to have the tree guy over sometime soon.  There is pruning to be done.  Remember the jacaranda tree we had cut down last spring?

 

DSCN2042

It’s back!  There are branches shooting out all around the stump that was left.  I would say they are about ten feet high.  I see now that we will be playing battle of the tree for some time to come.  It has a definite will to be there.

It looks kind of pretty now, but it is so fast growing and so boundless in its growth that it is completely unsuited to the small yard here.

 

There are many large puddles and the ditches are filled with water all around town.  There was a flock of ducks in a nearby puddle.  Mike wondered, with all the ponds around, what was the attraction of a puddle.  My guess is no alligators or large snapping turtles to grab their little webbed feet.

 

We have had trouble again with the dishwasher.  Mike has ordered a new motor for it.  In the process of taking it apart we had a water leak so now we have someone coming to check out the insulation and water vapor underneath the kitchen.  Isn’t it always something?

Comments

  1. So glad you made it safely. It sounds as if much of your time will be spent with chores. I hope you get some time to relax!
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one monster tree! I just had dishwasher trouble, too - had to get a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got there safely. Florida flora and fauna have a reputation for having a mind of their own, and it sure sounds like it is true. Apparently, Florida dishwashers have the same tendency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more houses, the more problems, I guess. Enjoy Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda is correct. The more houses the more problems. I have 2 (very small) homes and it's difficult to keep everything going and to remember to pay for services for both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your hols! HOpe you can finish the 1500 gigsaw in the time! Still working on my 5000 one...... Can't imagine practice-packing the car??? Where would your hubbie find the time? Is he an accountant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was not a very nice welcome back that you received. I'm sorry for the new issues to take care of in your place, but I'm sure you will get that taken care of quickly and be enjoying the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.