Skip to main content

Some thoughts on education today...

This is for all the educators--retired or still in the business--a referral to this letter to a superintendent.

I really felt the need to retire (special education teacher at a middle school) when I realized that after 33 years the job was just not getting any easier with the help of experience.  It just kept getting harder and more demanding--like any other job at the time--do more with less.

I don't know if all states have a wellness program for teachers.  We do in Vermont and retirees are eligible to join in as well.  It is a good program that provides information and incentives for healthier lifestyles.  The thing is, it has only been since I retired that I could fully participate.

For one thing participation involves a bit of paperwork--just not something I could add to my plate while I was working.  There is also a lot of emphasis on good nutrition--all stuff I knew anyway--but honestly, when I was dragging myself home in the dead dark of evening, the last thing I could possibly imagine was cooking.
Even the thought of deciding what to cook was sometimes beyond me.

Exercise?  I left for work twenty minutes and a cup of coffee after getting up--around 6:15 A.M. if I was lucky, so I could beat the school bus traffic on my 15 mile drive.  It was dark and I was too tired on the way home.  I usually just drove right past the gym that gave us teachers a deal on a membership in cooperation with the wellness program.  I felt better if I did stop and exercise but that didn't lead me to stop on a regular basis.

A walk at lunch time?  Um, on a twelve minute lunch break the choice stuff down a sandwich OR take advantage of the one bathroom opportunity.  Hunger or a urinary tract infection.  With one possible bathroom break in the course of six hours, guess which option usually won out.

This year, the program emphasis is on getting adequate sleep.  Stress reduction is always a feature of the program.  Had I been able to fall asleep when my head hit the pillow and sleep through an entire night--even just one or two nights a week the last five or six years I was teaching--I might have made it to full retirement age.  I have always needed my sleep so being sleep deprived hits me like a ton of bricks.  My sleep was so out of whack, I ended up having to do the whole sleep study in the hospital and then going for "sleep therapy" for a couple of months a whole year after I retired.

I am not a particularly stupid person. I knew that exercise and adequate sleep are important to health and wellness.  I knew all about healthy food choices and that processed foods and fast foods were not the way to go.  I knew stress could be a killer.  And, I knew that "not having the time" is a major cop out excuse.
Knowing all that, I still did not muster the psychic energy to fully deal with the stress and so it just kept mounting. 

Fortunately for me, I was in a position to choose an early retirement.  I at least had enough awareness to realize I could live with less money, but I could not live with any more stress.

Don't get me wrong.  I applaud Vermont's efforts to support and promote wellness.  The benefits are not just for individuals either.  School systems would benefit from decreased insurance payouts and fewer sick day costs.  I'm just saying school systems and their communities have to support a culture of wellness across the board.  And that includes appreciating and nurturing individual talents and learning/teaching styles.  That includes opportunities for physical activity and creative activity and plain old down time.  From my reading of the letter to a superintendent, I wonder.   How much does it happen?

Comments

  1. You are right on target, just as Muffy said. I find it interesting that strategies for good health are encouraged while teachers are probably also being given heavier class loads, more classes to teach, and more pressure to make sure 'no child is left behind.'

    I left the school system in 2004 and moved to the University to write curriculum, develop a new program and teach future teachers. The truth was, I simply could not continue to teach as many as 120 students a day English. How does anyone think that it is possible to teach high school English to 120 students a day.

    I too was too tired and overwhelmed to even think of planning meals or cooking. My house didn't get cleaned. I felt like I had won the lottery if I had a morning planning period so that I could use the bathroom before lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a teacher, but I too had a hard time summoning the energy to take care of myself after work. Several days a week I walked a couple of miles during my lunch hour. But in the evenings I mostly wanted to take it easy, especially as I got older. Now that I'm not working I can do the food and exercise and wellness thing. Finally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twelve minute lunches?? Good grief. Most of us non-teachers don't realize how much of your own time is "given" to the system. Astounding.
    I am glad you took the early out and can now enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.