Skip to main content

When the lights go out

A recent power outage in the area made me realize just how much my life style depends on the availability of electricity.  Sure, it is an annoyance to not have the TV or computer, but it is possible to go on living without.
Other things are more concerning.  I'd just filled the fridge and freezer with holiday supplies.  Will I have to move all that stuff out into the garage or even outdoors to keep it cold or frozen?  Or will it get that cold inside?
There will be no vacuuming, but there is always dusting to do.  Why has no one yet invented the indispensable electric furniture duster with electrostatic feathers? 
I won't be able to do the laundry that I have ignored for days and days because I have been distracted by blogs and computer searches.  Here's the time opened up, but no electricity to run the machines.  No hot water after a bit and then no water at all since the pump is electric.  Now the toilet cannot even be flushed.  How concerning is that?
The furnace goes off.  Is it so cold that the pipes will freeze?  Thank goodness that we have a wood stove and plenty of wood.  I complain about its messiness sometimes, but not when the den is snug and cozy while the temperature in the rest of the house is dropping.
Thank goodness, also, that I have a husband who, without benefit of ever having been a boy scout, is always prepared and is a well equipped camper.  Coleman lantern, a full container of fuel, matches, flashlights, charged batteries, a camp coffee pot--check, check, check check, check, and check--better yet, all right where always live so you can put your hands right on them when needed.
Reading is an option, for a while anyway.  But it gets dark really early and it is too much strain on my weak eyeballs to read by flickering lantern light.  Really, the thing to do, I think, is sit by that warm and cozy fire with a glass of wine, a sliced pear, a bit of cheese,  and that wonderful man who has it all under control.  After that, well, there are flannel sheets and warm woolen blankets on the bed.  It doesn't really matter how cold the rest of the house gets.

Comments

  1. Wow, you do know how to handle an emergency. Must think about moving next door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you made something wonderful out of a trying situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain and wind in the Pacific Northwest. Your weather sounds lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is how to make lemonade. Snuggle and enjoy. However that toilet thingy is really annoying.
    For the future, those book lights you can get anywhere work marvelously well and last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fire is only an option if it's the manual type. These days homes have electric or gas that need to be switched on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds cozy and lovely to me! A wood fire, candles, a glass of wine and good company.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.