Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Digital Reader


Arkansas Patti, on her blog (http://thenewsixty.blogspot.com/2009/11/kindle.html) recently wrote about Kindle, the electronic book. I was surprised but pleased to learn that its reading surface does not have the computer screen glare that I had assumed would be the problem.
I am a regular at our small town library, shown here. The library, a mile and a half from my house, is a good destination for a walk. The librarian is always interested in acquisition requests and is great about using the State inter library loan system. It even has downloadable books for borrowing, which I have never tried. I don’t think my eyes would tolerate reading an entire book off a computer screen. That’s why I was glad to learn about the non-glare feature of a Kindle even though I am not about to run out and purchase one. I still like the feeling of a book, but I get the appeal of a digital reader.

What I did see recently was a digital reader for the kitchen. You know, designed to hold recipes, menus, cooking tips, and such. That is something I would use in a heartbeat. It costs around $300 dollars, though. I figure, as with so many electronics, in a short enough time the cost will go down and the reliability and ease of use will go up, so I’m not running out to buy one now

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link Olga. I love your library, it looks like a retired church.
    I had seen that recipe reader and was almost tempted but then I realized that all I had to do was google sweet potatoes on my computer, get 167 recipes and I could print out the one I wanted.
    So like you, I can wait for the price to come down.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a thinly disguised Christmas hint? $300? Hopefully Kevin reads this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.