Monday, February 29, 2016

Planting

I Googled: "Florida landscape plants for snowbirds" and I got a lot of suggestions.

One plant that I had seen at one of the nurseries and liked was called Xanadu.  It is a type of philodendron.  It came up on the search.  I put two in the front planter.


Xanadu

There are supposed to spread and mound, up to five feet wide and two to three feet high.  I think that will be about right once it is established.


Of course that might take a while.  I took out two shrubs that were playing dead.  I think they were actually strangled by the air potato plant that snuck into the planter.  I also took out the crown of thorns plants because I just didn't like them.  i thought they might grow on me, but they didn't.  Let's hope the new plants do grow for me though.

I do hope I can get some more landscaping done, but if it is not in the cards for this year, there is always next year.



14 comments:

  1. Planting and growing takes time and you do have years and seasons to challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous plant. I wonder how it would do in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious about what kinds of plants would fit in the category of " Florida landscape plants for snowbirds". I am guessing that they would be low maintenance plants that can survive six month out of the year without much tending.
    That is a pretty plant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the prospects of landscaping a new place, and then I get overwhelmed. Like you, I plant and then I dig up what I planted and plant something else. That is what gardening is all about. One learns that mistakes are ok. We can always try something else. I do like your choice. When it fills in, I think it will be quite nice. I guess you will let us know next year how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like good choices. Good luck with your green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your energy and the beautiful yard and garden it will yield.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big fan of Xanadu. When I was a kid we had some Elephant Ears in our yard. I loved the way dew puddled on the leaves and the velvet softness. Since then I have gravitated towards plants like Xanadu and Philodendrons. I also agree with removing plants just because they don't bring beauty to your eyes. I suppose I use the Marie Kondo decluttering system on my yard more than I do my house! I want to love everything out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such fun to see how what we envision turns out. You should have a really nice surprise when you come down next year. Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm "green" with envy -- as you no doubt are aware, our planting season here is still a good month away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are very pretty plants. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What did we do before Google? I like the simplicity of the bed. I know things grow fast there. It will be fun to see the "after" photo in a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the xanadu works out for you. It is a nice looking plant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to get a Xanadu! Just the name makes me smile and feel like dancing.

    Happy weekend to you, Olga!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I think those are going to be beautiful! It must be kind of fun to come back and see how much the yard has changed!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.