This is my favorite way to use it.
Cheesy Squash Casserole
1 pound of zucchini, sliced*
1pound of yellow summer squash, sliced*
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup butter**
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese***
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. fresh thyme
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165C)
- Bring a large post of water to a boil. Add squashes and onion and cook until tender (about 15 minutes). * Drain well and transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- Add butter so it starts to melt.
- Add eggs, sugar, salt, and thyme. Stir gently to combine and until butter is melted.
- Add cracker crumbs until moisture is absorbed.
- Turn into a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
*Here is a trick I learned from Lydia Bastianich: cook the squash whole with ends in tact. The squash does not need to absorb extra water. Slice after cooking. I don't bother to precook the onion at all. I melt the butter before adding it to the squash.
**Butter=sweet, unsalted butter. Margarine will surely ruin the whole dish. Don't!
***Need I say Vermont Cheddar? Oh, well, if you are from Wisconsin or New York or Cheddar(!), use what you have.
This makes 8 servings. I make the full recipe for myself and eat twice a day for four days and lick my plate clean every time.