Skip to main content

A scattering of this and that...

I did a program for the library's summer reading program--metallic embossing.
There was a huge crowd.  I think the lousy weather has lots of parents scrambling for activities for the kids.  It was fun, but I was tired afterwards.


I have some cute photos of the busy crafters.  I won't post them because I do not have parental permission.  There was glitter involved for those who so chose so try to imagine.

It looks like the roads around town have been put back together.  It is all patchwork style.  We hope that the pattern of sudden heavy storms has finally moved on.

Farmers are taking a beating.  This is a picture of a huge mud hole in the middle of a corn field. 


I have been struggling through the pants fitting class I signed up for on line.  I am pretty close to having a pattern altered.  I have a muslin practice that fits--and two others that do not even come close.  I think that on line is not the ideal venue for something like this.  It is true that I can go back and replay parts, but there are so many, many details to keep in mind and so many examples of the possible modifications based on individual figures that it is easy to get confused.  If I ever get a chance to do an in person workshop, I will take it.
In the meantime--skirts are always nice.


We had a play date--the group of women that gets together for making cards and eating lunch.  Did I show you the birds we made last month?  This time we made flowers.
 I have not taken a picture of the flowers yet.

I have a new vacuum cleaner--a new Eureka, same model as I had before, the one that broke.  The old one was under warranty, but the part was back ordered and would not be in until the end of August.  The manufacturer told the repair shop that they thought it was reasonable to ask me to wait.  I thank the repair shop for working to get me a new replacement.  Of course now I will have to do something about those furry/dusty creatures living under the bed.

Mike and I went out for lunch today--a beautiful sunny day without oppressive humidity.  Mike ordered fried clams--just wait until he has cardio rehab.  I think he realizes this and wanted to sneak a last plateful in.  I had a caprese salad and grilled shrimp.

The Shanty is in downtown Burlington, overlooking Lake Champlain.  
 There is a nice view even on a bad day.  This was not a bad day though.

There is a very new building across the street...

Right next to a very old building or two.


I have been out of sync a bit and I realized that it is because my schedule has been so thrown off.  There is the time spent in the hospital and at doctors' offices, of course, but there was also my own routine and I think that is more the key.  I got to do my Friday vacuuming and all of a sudden it seemed like the universe has aligned itself once more.  If I don't do the Friday vacuuming how do I know it is Friday?  And if I don't know that it is Friday, how do I know what day it is on any other day.  

The sun is shining, my vacuuming is done, and I had a nice lunch with my sweetie.





Comments

  1. That's great that you can teach a class at the library. Glad you got a new vacuum, and that it helps you stay on schedule. Your lunch sounds delicious.
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just enough to remind me that I really do like retirement. I never would have lasted as an elementary teacher...so much energy required. Although the enthusiasm is pretty neat.

      Delete
  2. Glad your day went so well - I would have skipped the vacuuming! I can truly imagine the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always somewhat amazing to me how the glitter thing can split so unfailingly along the gender lines.

      Delete
  3. And now all is right with the world.
    Routines are very important to some of us, aren't they.
    Glitter? Really? You are a glutton for punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lots and lots of glitter. You either love it or hate it.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean. Fridays are my laundry day and I can't deviate from it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you really had a fabulous day, Olga. The embossing craft is something my daughter and granddaughter would have loved to attend. I'm not surprised you got so many takers, but I can understand why you were tried. You are doing so much! I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more like a week, not all packed into one day, but it was all good!

      Delete
  6. Ha, ha, my vacuuming day is the day I just can't put it off any longer. Younguns wear me out also. Oh to have that energy.
    Glad Mike got to indulge with the clams. Pretty sure he will not like the new menu after the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not love the new menu either...although it will cut down on the number of times I have to fix two completely different meals. He likes what he likes and dislikes everything else more than most. He does not complain if he is served something he doesn't like, but the look of unhappiness just breaks my heart.

      Delete
  7. Glitter does make everything better! I completely understand about the routine and needing to know what day it is -- for me it is Saturday and the grocery store that sets the week for me. I'm even worse than you in that I also have a need to do my daily routine. Like right now my online bank is down. How can I go on with my task list if I can't check off banking/pay bills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a job where I had to visit several different schools over the course of a week. Snow days really threw me for a loop and I'd find myself pulling into the parking lot of the wrong school.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your stories of your days.
    Give yourself permission to be good to yourself!
    Take much care. We need us grammas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I always try to be good to myself! Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful day! I haven't sewn in years, and I can't imagine trying to learn how to fit pants via an on-line video. I tend to need to ask questions when I'm learning something.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely would have been easier to do this in person! You can ask questions on line, but you may have to wait a day or two for a reply.

      Delete
  10. If I had to vacuum to know it was Friday, I'd never know what day it was. You are clearly a far more vigilant housekeeper than I. But I knew that already.
    Oh! Glitter!
    Out of the blue not long ago, I remembered a tulle tutu that my cousin had for her dance class. She must have been ten, so I would have been eight. It was blue with "sequins" of holographic dots on it. Even the memory of it mesmerizes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight and ten year olds are the target audience for glitter, but we carry that younger version of self with us always.

      Delete
  11. It sure looks pretty in your neck in the wood, and you have been quite busy, haven't you. I like your birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite green here now that the rains have let up a bit. I love having the lake nearby.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.