Marvelous Muffins from Cooking Light.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cup oat bran
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup non-fat powered milk
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 orange, unpeeled and quartered
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients (first 10) in large bowl and whisk together. Add carrots, apple, and raisins.
- Combine milk, oil, vanilla, eggs, and orange in blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the milk mixture into it. Stir just til moist.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake in batches for 20 minutes. Muffins should be brown and should spring back when touched in the center. This makes about two dozen small muffins, about 115 calories each.
Want to see what they look like? Click:
Quinoa-Pumpkin Seed Granola
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 1/2 raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup whole or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup of desired dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine quinoa, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and flaxseeds in a large bowl.
- Heat honey in a microwave container on high for 20 seconds. Stir in oil, cinnamon, and salt. Pout over quinoa mixture in bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread mixture on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake, uncovered for 15 to twenty minutes, stirring twice during the baking time. It should be a golden brown.
- Stir the fruit into the mixture in the pan and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Spread on foil, breaking up any large chunks. Cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Note: Mix this into a bit of yogurt and it will fuel your whole morning. As you can maybe see, I believe the more nuts the better.