Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Reading, Always Reading


I finished The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty.
I have to say that I had never heard of Louise Banks, who was apparently a real silent film star who really did grow up in Witchita, Kansas, and who really did go to NYC at the tender age of 15 accompanied by a chaperone.
But the book is fiction and the focus is the story of the fictional chaperone, named Cora Carlisle.  I found it an interesting story and social commentary.


Before that, I read The Dovekeepers Alice Hoffman, who is one of my all-time favorite authors.
It is a sad story, but a wonderful read.

Another of my favorite authors is, of course, Toni Morrison.  Home is also a very sad story that is based on real historical events.

Short, but powerful.


Right now I am reading The Goddess Lounge by blog land’s own Margaret Finnegan.  I believe everybody in the world already reads her blog, but if for some reason you have missed it, definitely check it out.

The Goddess LoungeIt’s fun (and only a little sad if you think about it).

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I feel honored to be in such esteemed company. Thanks, Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally reading, rather than 'always'. I'm currently into murder mysteries, mostly Scandinavian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE to make more time to ready! It was the one good thing about temping, I had lunch hour and breaks with nothing to do but read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, I guess I am nobody in this world for I haven't read her blog. I will change my status now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always like to see what others are reading. I'm reading a book you might like by Brooks - Caleb's Crossing - can't put it down. It's historical fiction which I don't usually choose, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these recommendations. I have been stuck in biography land for a long time and needed some new titles to explore. These look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post because it is very very interesting. nice post

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.