Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mammogram

Today was mammogram day for me.  I understand that there is some question about this screening test, but I go once a year without fail.  I don't even think that I am in a particularly high risk group. I just do it and hope for the best.

I once worked with a woman who would not get any kind of screening test--blood pressure, nothing.  She said if there was a problem she would just rather not know about it.  Actually, I understand that line of reasoning but I have not given myself permission to go there.  I also understand the cynicism about all the "pink" merchandise and the issues of awareness versus actual commitment to prevention and real cures but I optimistically hope that good intention prevails in the world.

whymen.jpg (34841 bytes)



5 comments:

  1. Love the message! Men mean well, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the guys just don't get it!!! Good job at prevention!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few months after retiring in 2009, my routine mammogram showed a suspicious area. This was at the beginning of the controversy about how often to get a mammogram. There was no history in my family and any previous do overs I'd had were OK. I was shocked when the biopsy revealed I had invasive ductal cancer. Luckily the lymph nodes were clear and I only had to endure radiation after a lumpectomy. Get those annual exams no matter what you hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me. I have to schedule mine.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.